Atlas (QC54) quill lock stuck.

GerryS

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I am very new to this. I acquired an Atlas QC54 and have cleaned it up etc. but the quill on the tailstock is very difficult to move because the quill locks are stuck in place.
I can't get the quill out, because once it is off the thread it is too tight to pull.
Any suggestions or videos out there?
Thank you.

The quill lock pinches the quill between two tapered pieces, the bottom one threaded and the top one with a thru hole for the pinch bolt/handle.

I would remove the tailstock, then loosen the pinch bolt/handle and tap down to drive out the bottom tapered piece. You'll probably have to tap a little, then thread the handle out some more, tap a little, repeat. After that flip the tailstock over and drive out the top tapered piece from below. Use penetrating oil, soft face hammers and be very gentle with all those pieces... they are all Zamak alloy and can crack easily.

Once the quill lock is removed you should be able to slide the quill out. If it's still tight, check the set screw on the bottom of the quill to be sure it's not binding up in the groove in the bottom of the quill. Remove it and inspect it if you've never done that. They damage easily.

-Jake

Hello,
Thank you. I guess this is stupid question, but how do I tap out the bottom if they are stuck together? They are basically jammed up to look like one piece of metal.
I was able to loosen the set screw a bit, but it is very tight and didn't seem to want to move much except a little down. If it won't turn out, how do I get it out?
Thank you.

Liquid wrench is your friend here, be generous with it
mark

Try taking wheel off back of tailstock.take screw out.flood with oil..then brass punch to back of quill.light taps.should start moving.

Hello,
Thank you. I guess this is stupid question, but how do I tap out the bottom if they are stuck together? They are basically jammed up to look like one piece of metal.
I was able to loosen the set screw a bit, but it is very tight and didn't seem to want to move much except a little down. If it won't turn out, how do I get it out?
Thank you.
By loosening the lock handle, you can tap the bottom wedge out first because the bottom wedge is threaded. Lightly tapping down on the lock handle will transfer down to the bottom wedge by way of those threads. I would use plenty of penetrating oil to soften old grease and grime, working the wedge back and forth until it loosens.

The set screw is commonly damaged by excessive torque from drilling large holes with Morse taper bits. I would remove it with vise grips if necessary and replace. I made a new one for my QC54 from a #10 screw and slitting saw on the milling machine.

Back