Atlas Refurb and Tooling

Jamiethesquid

Active User
Registered
So I have recently acquired a Craftsman 101.21400 / Atlas 618. And in short order I will have the clean up completed and have the lathe leveled and ready to throw chips. While googling around for info I ran acrossa basic tooling package from Little Machine Shop and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on it. I like the fact that the QC tool post is made in the US and is reasonably priced, however the other parts like the turning and boring tools and the tailstock are up unknown manufacture and I don't want to waste my money if they are not up to snuff. I would rather get the tool post and buy the tooling separately if this is the case.

I also thought that I would start this Thread as a spot to chronicle my refurb of the machine. Let me know what you think.

Hi, JamieTheSquid. There's some very well done restoration threads in here, should help.
Is this the tooling package you're considering?

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3514

If so, that's a nice package. Requires that you cut the MT1 arbor to allow proper ejection, though. It'll fast-track you into lathe turning, but, I couldn't recommend it at this time. Jumping into QCTP and insert tooling bypasses the 'art' and agony of bit grinding, where much of the real magic and learning take place. I've read your intro-bio (impressive), and it looks like you want to learn it all. As such, I'd recommend mastering the HSS bit 'world' on the lantern post first. This will add depth to your understanding and help with creative problem-solving. Of course, this is your choice.

Saw your pic with the box of tooling. There's an MT1 something in there, maybe a tailstock chuck?

There's an eBayer near you, antfarm200, who offers many Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe parts and tooling. Have a look at his MT1 tailstock chuck:

Item: NEW GENUINE MT1 JACOBS 33 TAILSTOCK DRILL CHUCK 4 LATHE 1/2" CAPACITY & KEY

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=390978016693&alt=web

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...-CHUCK-4-LATHE-1-2-CAPACITY-KEY-/390978016693

If you search "Atlas 618" in eBay, many more items appear.

Thanks Steve, I will check out the restoration threads post haste. I was having issues with my work computer and the Search Function.

I hear you loud and clear when it comes to the tooling. Yes that is the tool set that I meant to link to on the LMS web site. I am actually really looking forward to working with the HSS tools. At school all of the turning tooks that we have used so far are Indexable Carbide, and all of the machines have QCTP's.

I also purchased a 15" LeBlond Regal from 1940, and it too has a lantern type tool post. I am an avid knife guy and amateur knife maker. I have two 1x42" belt grinders, a disk grinder, a Work Sharp, and numerous stones, files and laps, and an 8" bench grinder.

I was really hoping that in school we would learn first the art of tool grinding, but the intro to lathe course started off with carbide. I think later in the tool making courses they touch on it a little, but the curriculum is designed to get the guys and gals ready for jobs in today's shops where few machines are running HSS. I really came by that kit from LMS by accident. At avout the same moment that my wife was asking me for the tenth time what I wanted for Christmas. I plan on using HSS for quite a while, especially on my LeBlond as it has a max speed of 500 RPM and the cost of an Aloris post for it is a bit out of my budget.

Last edited:
I've gotten a lot of use out of a set of MT-2 collets for my little Craftsman.

... I am an avid knife guy and amateur knife maker. I have two 1x42" belt grinders, a disk grinder, a Work Sharp, and numerous stones, files and laps, and an 8" bench grinder...

Well, you're obviously cocked-and-loaded, no stranger to a keen edge. That LMS site has a good repository on lathe learnin', check-out their learning and info center, there's a pdf on bit grinding. You'll need some bit holders for the lantern post, Xmas hints to wifey may help...

Allright, I give up. Maybe it is the hour, or my eyes are going screwey. But where is the search function hiding. I want to find thise resto threads but I can't seem to find the darn search function.

Well, you're obviously cocked-and-loaded, no stranger to a keen edge. That LMS site has a good repository on lathe learnin', check-out their learning and info center, there's a pdf on bit grinding. You'll need some bit holders for the lantern post, Xmas hints to wifey may help...
Okay, now I'm confused. I need a bit holder for the lantern tool post? Or does the bit go directly in the post. I guess for the smaller bits that would make sense. I have currently in there a 1/2" bit.

Do the "forum" button, then "browse all forums". Scroll down to the Atlas/Craftsman specific forum, click on it. You'll spend the rest of the week in there.

I have an album with a few pics of my machine. Here's the traditional 1/4" bit tool holders

Last edited by a moderator:
Back