Atlas Refurb and Tooling

That is a gem of a catalog. I would love to have one from 1957 that would show the origional accessories for my 101.21400. I looked last night in the box of stuff that came with the lathe and I don't have any bit holders. I may pull the trigger on getting the LMS kit for X-mas, it saus that the tool holders will hold bits from .250" to .500" and additional holders are only $20 something a piece. So that set will give me 2 standard holders, A cutoff holder and a boring bar holder. As I search around the web and locally ober the coming months, I will keep my eyes peeled for tool holders for the Little Atlas and my Leblond. I did see that my leblond had at least 2 holders with it.

I have so many more questions. I was in my shop until after midnight last night. I disassembled the 3 jaw chuck, and have it soaking in Ed's Red. It was loaded with dried up grease. I removed the cross slide and the compound for cleaning. I removed the spindle so I could clean that. Next I want to remove the lead screw and the carraige.

All the large parts will be thoroughly scrubbed and degreased this weekend. Smaller parts get a pre-soak in Ed's red, then a dunk in the ultrasonic, and relube. Castings are going to be treated to a new paint job, brush on enamel of some brand and color yet to be determined.

I need to find a local source for some proper lubrication.

Still looking for the proper motor pulley sizes. I am going to replace the worn belts with either o-ring type belts or more likely the link type (thoughts on this would be welcome).

This weekend my basement shop is getting some much needed cleaning and organizing and I will start building the bench for the lathe. Hopefully by x-mas I will be ready to make some chips.

I will take lots of pics this weekend.

You may find that two holders are all you need for your leblond its all i have for my old reed lathe as a lot of times its easier to change toolbits for different operations that way everything stays on center. Obviously you'll still need a parting tool holder. I'm glad I didn't spend a bunch on lantern holders as I've gotten to the point, though I'm still learning, that I'm really wanting an aloris-style holder that'll fit both my lathes. It will speed up lathe operations a LOT. And the old holders will sit in a drawer prbly never touched for years. I plan to keep using mostly high speed even with the new posts.

James,

When I bought my Monarch 16" I was hot for a QCTP and got a good deal from CDCO on a wedge type set. If I was to do it over again, I would have saved my dollars for other tooling. There are plans for a number of tool bit height setting gauges that are easy to make; I should have made one and kept using the lantern tool holders.
If you buy some Armstrong or Williams tool bit holders for the lantern post they come in two main flavors. The ones with the S after the size means that the tool bit hole is straight and is used for carbide tooling (the brazed or glued on type, not inserts) the ones without the S hold the bit at an angle for HSS tooling.
I bookmarked a supplier who has newly manufactured tool holders but can't locate it. I'll keep looking for the bookmark since I want to get some big honking tool holders for the 16" shaper I found.

Mike

One other problem using the QCTP on the big lathe is that the post itself is a big hunk of square steel. It makes it hard to get close to the end of the work to thread etc. too much interference with the tailstock live center.

Hi,
I have a 6" Atlas/Craftsman and I love it. I have upgraded to the QCTP and what a blessing they are.
Here is a site that may come in handy for you and others.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/atlas/atlas.html

I want to make the ER collet closer chuck. Nice project and looks doable, even with my skills.

Also very handy is this link:

http://vintagemachinery.org/

At the menu bar at the top is Machine Info. Move your cursor over it and a drop down menu appears. Click on Publication Reprints and you can search for some original publications for your lathe that people have uploaded. These are pdf. files.
Almost forgot - once you are on the page Publication Reprints and you click on the brand, if you click on the list headings at the top, it organizes the files by that heading. Pretty cool.
Looking forward to see your progress.

shoeboxpaul

Mike,

There is (at least on most lathes and with most QCTP's) an easy fix for that problem. Most if not all QCTP's have two mounting faces. Normally one faces the headstock and is used for turning tools and parting off blades. The other faces the work and is normally used for facing tools and boring bars. And which end of each holder you put the cutter in determines whether you can use it for turning or facing. But if you rotate the QCTP on the compound (or rotate the compound) 90 deg. clockwise, then a tool set up as you normally would for facing and mounted on the right side of the tool post will allow you to work right up against the tailstock. Actually, if you have a bit of work to do near the tailstock, I would rotate the compound from it's normal position of +30 deg. to -30 deg. and then rotate the tool post another 30 deg.

Robert D.

James,

One other problem using the QCTP on the big lathe is that the post itself is a big hunk of square steel. It makes it hard to get close to the end of the work to thread etc. too much interference with the tailstock live center.

Mike

Shoeboxpad (et al),

We also have the majority of all of the available Atlas and Craftsman lathe, mill and shaper manuals in our Downloads section. Access to downloads currently requires a minimum of 30 posts. Plus anyone who makes a donation to the site (donation money is all used for site maintenance and support) gets immediate access regardless of post count. If you have access to Downloads, you will see it listed on the drop-down under For Members.

Robert D.

Does anyone posting here have a 101.21400 Craftsman / 618 Atlas? If so. When I bought the lathe last week for $50 bucks. It was without a motor, not a problem as I have a 1725 RPM 1/4 HP GE donor motor that is an older Vintage and runs beautifully. What I am missing however is the 2 step pulley that goes on the shaft of the motor. I haven't yet found one for sale on Flea Bay. I may take on the job of procuring a commercial replacement or making one on the lathe from Aluminum. What I need is the Outside Diameter of the 2 steps maybe a v-groove depth and width also would be handy. Thanks in advance for any help.

50 bucks? Did you forget a zero? Why can't I find deals like that? As far as the pulley...in the pics I looked at the large pulley on the motor appears to be same dia. as the small pulley on the countershaft. So...that means u can take the circumference of both those pulleys and subtract the circumference of the larger pulley on the countershaft and that will give you the circumference of the smaller step pulley on the motor. Divide by 3.1416 n that should be your diameter. Did I make any sense? Just make your v-groove depth n width the same as the countershaft pulleys.

Mike,

There is (at least on most lathes and with most QCTP's) an easy fix for that problem. Most if not all QCTP's have two mounting faces. Normally one faces the headstock and is used for turning tools and parting off blades. The other faces the work and is normally used for facing tools and boring bars. And which end of each holder you put the cutter in determines whether you can use it for turning or facing. But if you rotate the QCTP on the compound (or rotate the compound) 90 deg. clockwise, then a tool set up as you normally would for facing and mounted on the right side of the tool post will allow you to work right up against the tailstock. Actually, if you have a bit of work to do near the tailstock, I would rotate the compound from it's normal position of +30 deg. to -30 deg. and then rotate the tool post another 30 deg.

Robert D.

Robert,

For some reason I've never thought of turning the tool post 90 degrees opposite of how I normally set it. Thanks for the tip, it certainly will help when turning or threading a long bar. With the smaller ones, I'll still have interference either from the tailstock or the chuck, but I do have work-arounds. Thanks again.

The company that is selling the old style lantern holders along with QCTP is Travers Tools, They do have an import along with some Armstrong product; around $36 each but then again that is what many ebay sellers want that for a well used ones. This is in reference for use on his 15" Leblond the OP has.

Mike

Back