Atlas Shaper Collar Question

Wheels17

Active User
Registered
I recently picked up an Atlas 7B shaper, Serial Number 12297, that seems to be in reasonably good condition, but it spent a long time sitting oily in a wood shop. And was used with some sort of coolant that appears to have polymerized. There have been a number of minor problems I've dealt with with (new gib for the tool slide, new brake pulley), but I have now run into an impasse.

Before I start using the machine, I want to clean, check, and re-lube the rolling element bearings on the bull gear and pinion shaft. I'm into the feed and ratchet assembly on the bull gear shaft, and cannot remove the collar S7-114 that is in front of gear S7-86. I really need to remove the gear(which doesn't appear to be original) as one of the screws that holds the S7-64 bearing plate in place backed out and got caught on the back of the gear.

I've tried penetrating oils of various sorts, heat, padded locking pliers, etc. with no success. Is the S7-114 collar just a plain shaft collar or are there threads or something I'm missing? I don't want to get too forceful in that area due to the Zamak parts, but if it is a simple collar, I may just cut it off and make a new one. Or perhaps use a small bearing splitter?

Advice from someone more experienced with these machines would be appreciated.

Well, I answered my own question.

It turns out that the interior of the collar is threaded, conventional right hand threads. I'm not sure the collar is original. The collar/set screw interface is of an interesting design. The set screw hole just barely breaks through the root of the threads on the interior the slightest bit. So, when you tighten the set screw, it presses on the threads and flexes them down on the shaft, locking the collar without any damage to the shaft threads. Pretty clever.

I was able to remove the collar by threading a cap screw into the set screw hole, which gave me enough purchase to unscrew the collar with a crescent wrench.

The gear may be a replacement. It has a Browning Maysville,KY logo, and a part number of NCG1640. DuckDuckGo finds the gear still available at MRO supply with the following characteristics:

StyleChange
Pressure Angle14.5
Diametral Pitch16
Number of Teeth/Threads40

Next, pull the gear...

I found one for sale on E-bay right now.

Thanks for the link! The replacement gear appears to be well done, if it is a replacement. I'm in to the outer bull gear bearing (what a stink of old rotten grease!), and am working on the pinion shaft.

One thing to watch for. On my machine at least, there are locking setscrews for the pinion shaft bearing covers that are not shown in the S7B-2 shaper bulletin from 1947. They seem to be made in the same manner as the collar, pressing on threads in the housing to clamp the covers. I had to build a pin wrench to loosen the covers.

Attachments

• Shaper Pinion Cover Pin Wrench.dwg
    20.3 KB · Views: 199
Back