Atlas Shaper Tool Holders

vocatexas

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Can anybody tell me the numbers I need to find some tool holders for my Atlas? Mine didn't come with any; I have just been putting cutting tools in the tool post which can be rather limiting. I've been watching E-bay for holders, but I'm uncertain which ones are correct. I know most of the ones I've seen are holders for larger shapers like G&E or Cincinnati.

For a 1/4" square tool bit, the Armstrong holder is a No. 0
I use the "T" designated ones which present the cutter parallel with the base of the holder rather than at an angle. So,
T-0-R, T-0-S, T-0-L.

I don't have the Atlas shaper, but one just a little bigger. Same size tool though as what Atlas recommended in their catalogues. Without the holder, 3/8" bits straight into the lantern.

Took me a while to find all three, especially the T-style.

-frank

Edit- oh, and if you're looking for the Universal holder (the one that has the multi-position head angle) I believe it will be an Armstrong No. 39. Do not buy the the No. 40 as I did, it will be too big.

-f

Last edited:
Thank you VERY much! That is exactly the information I needed. I almost bought a No. 40 a few days ago, but realized it was too big. Now I know exactly what to watch for on Ebay and Craigslist.

Back