Atlas stuff ? 10D ? Where are you Cab ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm finding lots of tooling as I go thru my buckets . I believe these are from an Atlas 10" lathe . Can anyone confirm this ? :dunno: Cab , look familiar ? I think these are from that 10D I sold a few years back , and most of the tooling was thrown in a bucket to be found this past weekend . :grin: Just so ya know , I have lots o buckets .

I don't see anything. :big grin::dunno:

All ya gotta do is page him! ;)

@wa5cab

:cautious: What a dummy . Forgot to load the pics . :rolleyes: I'm all excited about getting into work tonight ! :big grin: Thanks , good eye Will !

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 18
For the plates, have any measurements; inside diameter and tpi

Dave,

Sorry for the delay. For some reason, I didn't get a brief email telling me that there was a new post in one of my watched Fora.

From top to bottom of your first photo,

Drive Plate
Collet closer set with one probably 3AT but could be 3C collet
Face plate

The drive plate is used to hold the tail of a drive dog which is attached to something mounted between centers.

The collet closer set consists of the handwheel-type draw tube with self centering bearing and the 3MT collect closer adapter. To use, you stick the adapter into the 3MT spindle taper and stick the draw tube through the spindle. You then insert the collet into the adapter and screw it into the internally threaded tube, and draw the collet up until it just touches the adapter taper. You then insert the workpiece into the collet and draw it up snug.

The face plate is used to mount something that is either too large or of irregular shape to the spindle for machining. The collet should have the fractional size that the collet was made to fit engraved or stamped and usually the maker's name,

Cab , I know what they are , not sure if they are to an Atlas though . Do they look familiar to you ? I'll measure the threads when I get home this morning . Dave :) I know that the collets are Precision brand , and I believe they are 3ATs .

Sorry, I guess that I misunderstood your question. All that I can say is that they appear to be exactly the same as the equivalent Atlas supplied parts that I have. Try screwing the two plates onto your spindle and then temporarily install the draw tube and adapter in your spindle and try to install the collet. And report what is stamped or engraved on the collet face.

Also, questions like this would usually be better if first asked in the specific badge Fora, in this case Atlas-Craftsman.

I sold the lathe a couple years back . I'm just trying to make sure they were to the 10D lathe . I'm finding a lot of different attachments from lathes and mills gone by the wayside and I can't remember which machines they went to . :grin:

OK. Assuming that the drive plate and the face plate have 1-1/2"-8 threads, they should both fit any metal working lathe that Atlas or Atlas-Clausing or Clausing-Atlas ever built except for the three 6".

If the OD of the draw tube is 0.75", the collet closer adapter is 3MT and if the collet has either 3AT or 3C (among other things) engraved or stamped on its face, then they will fit the same group. The only deciding factor as to whether they fit the Timken or the Babbit bearing models is the length of the bearing or spacer that slides over the draw tube and up against the end of the hand wheel. In the unlikely event that the collet has neither 3AT nor 3C written on the face, the single-side angle that fits into the closer-adapter is 12 degrees for 3C and 15+ degrees for the 3AT. The 3AT is also about half an inch shorter than the 3C.

If the 10D is the only likely suspect, I would put my money on it.

Draw tube is identical to the one that can’t with a 10f atlas I have.

Back