Atlas tail stock lock doesn't lock

The spring is .500 long. OD is .350. ID is .250. The spring appears to have been cut from a longer spring. There are no counterbores in pinch blocks.

IMG_4193.JPG

Parts M6-44 and M6-45, the two locking cylinders of the 6", 10" and 12" were I think originally parts 9-44 and 9-43 up through the 10E. While designing the 612 & 618 in the mid 30's, they re-did the ram lock. and fitted it to the 10F and all subsequent models.

The coil spring between the two locks might be a good idea but the closed length of the spring would be critical. If the spring goes solid before the lock is fully set, the lock won't set and will slip. One or two shavings or other trash would also prevent it working.

The original parts were probably machined from steel. The new parts were cast from Zamak 5 to save money, not for their non-magnetic properties.

My tailstock with the 1/2" long spring locks up solid. The pinch blocks do not look like they have been machined. I am sure that it was added by the original owner. He was a citrus grower and his hobby was restoring old water pump motors. The 2nd owner never used the lathe. I am the third owner.

Well, one certainly can't argue with "It Works". :cool: And it would solve the problem of what happens if you accidentally run the tail stock ram out too far. Upon further thought, the only time that a shaving could get into the spring would be during assembly.

No one really knows what material 9-43 and 9-44 were made of. Maybe they were also cast in Zamak.

The spring sounds like a good idea, but it isn't clear that it actually is of significant benefit in this case.

-Marty-

Yes, I think that I would try it without the spring as it was not originally present..

Back