ATLAS TH42 TABLE

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So was there ever a table made for the th42. i was tlaking to a guy that deas in older machinery...he thought they made a wooden table with drawers for it.
curious in pittsburgh

minsk

So was there ever a table made for the th42. i was tlaking to a guy that deas in older machinery...he thought they made a wooden table with drawers for it.
curious in pittsburgh

minsk

Minsk:

There is an Atlas catalogue entitled "Atlas Modern Equipment," catalogue No. 45, dated May, 1945 that shows the hardwood cabinets and the floor stands that Atlas sold for their lathes with 36", 42", 48", and 54" bed lengths. They are shown on page 13 of the catalogue.

Robert Downs may have uploaded that catalogue to this site. I took a quick look in the Downloads section, but didn't see it. If you would like a PDF of it, PM me and I will email it to you.

I used their hardwood cabinet as a model for the stand I built for my QC42. It is stout, rigid, and does have drawers.

HTH, Bill

Minsk:

There is an Atlas catalogue entitled "Atlas Modern Equipment," catalogue No. 45, dated May, 1945 that shows the hardwood cabinets and the floor stands that Atlas sold for their lathes with 36", 42", 48", and 54" bed lengths. They are shown on page 13 of the catalogue.

Robert Downs may have uploaded that catalogue to this site. I took a quick look in the Downloads section, but didn't see it. If you would like a PDF of it, PM me and I will email it to you.

I used their hardwood cabinet as a model for the stand I built for my QC42. It is stout, rigid, and does have drawers.

HTH, Bill
thanx bill...i may use a craftsman stand...i ahve an opporunity to get one for 200 bux...its pretty nice..i would have to weld a little bracket for the motor.

curious in pittsburgh
minsk

Table, no. What they did build was three models of hardwood cabinet. The smallest one was for the mill and shaper. The next size was for the 6" and the10" and 12" x 18 and x 24" lathes. The largest one was for the 10" and 12" x 30" and 36". The 1943 2-page bulletin on these is in Downloads. So are several of the catalogs both Atlas and Craftsman. They are in the A/C Catalogs folder, category or directory.

After the War, they built a steel cabinet for the mill and shaper bu don't seem to have built a steel cabinet until 1958 when the cabinet version of the new 12" model came out.

im thinking of retro fitting this one...i think my motor will hang out the back a bit...ill fab a little mount and weld it on.

01414_4SxAapxciKF_1200x900.jpg

Interesting. I wonder what machine it was originally made for?

it think the owner said from a more modern atlas. 70s. my other option is get a nice rolling tool chest and mount it on that..i like the idea of having all the drawers.

First, although it might have at one time had an Atlas lathe sitting on it, I know of no Atlas or Clausing-Atlas catalog from the 1960's or 1970's that shows such a cabinet. There were two types of steel cabinets made but neither one looked like this one.

As far as starting with a rolling tool chest instead, it has two disadvantages. It does not have a full length drip pan (and I would not want any lathe without one). And is has rollers and no provision for solidly anchoring it to the slab or floor. Which I consider as critical.

First, although it might have at one time had an Atlas lathe sitting on it, I know of no Atlas or Clausing-Atlas catalog from the 1960's or 1970's that shows such a cabinet. There were two types of steel cabinets made but neither one looked like this one.

As far as starting with a rolling tool chest instead, it has two disadvantages. It does not have a full length drip pan (and I would not want any lathe without one). And is has rollers and no provision for solidly anchoring it to the slab or floor. Which I consider as critical.

true...i would do elevator feet...good point on the drip pan , i could fab one up.

Back