Atlas TH54 Belt Question

keith37f20

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm new to the group and I tried to search for an answer to my question but I wasn't able to find one. So I apologize if this has been covered already. What are the belt sizes from the motor to the counter shaft and from the counter shaft to the spindle for a TH54 lathe?

Thank you in advance.

Keith

I ran a link belt for several years on mine. It's a side effect, but it kind of takes sizing out of the equation. The lathe's new owner is still running it.

I ran a link belt for several years on mine. It's a side effect, but it kind of takes sizing out of the equation. The lathe's new owner is still running it.
That is what was on it when I got it. I am taking it apart to restore the lathe and would like to put a regular back in it's place while I have it apart. The belt from the motor to the countershaft was missing. I can always use a string and get close on the length. Looking at the pulley I'm guess it is a typical 4L belt but I'm not sure.

I ran a survey several years ago both here and on the Groups.io Atlas group as to he belt sizes as found on the various models of Atlas and Atlas/Craftsman lathes. What I came up with for the Atlas 10F with horizontal countershaft was:

Spindle - 4L410
Motor - 4L390

I don't recommend the link belts other than for what they were actually des8igned or developed for which was for temporary or emergency repairs. The reasons are that (a) the original designer did not recommend running them in reverse. (b) if run long enough, they will wear the pulleys with an odd pattern. And (c) decent quality ones will also cost more than the originals..

I did not ask Clausing what the OEM type numbers were as I considered it desirable to remain on good terms with them, given that they still stock at least some of the original parts for the Atlas machines. And those parts that they no longer stock they have been very good about sending me and others TIF or PDF scans of the original drawings for.

I ran a survey several years ago both here and on the Groups.io Atlas group as to he belt sizes as found on the various models of Atlas and Atlas/Craftsman lathes. What I came up with for the Atlas 10F with horizontal countershaft was:

Spindle - 4L410
Motor - 4L390

I don't recommend the link belts other than for what they were actually des8igned or developed for which was for temporary or emergency repairs. The reasons are that (a) the original designer did not recommend running them in reverse. (b) if run long enough, they will wear the pulleys with an odd pattern. And (c) decent quality ones will also cost more than the originals..

I did not ask Clausing what the OEM type numbers were as I considered it desirable to remain on good terms with them, given that they still stock at least some of the original parts for the Atlas machines. And those parts that they no longer stock they have been very good about sending me and others TIF or PDF scans of the original drawings for.
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the information.

Back