Atlas upper compound slide modification

Interesting...I'll be watching this, as I do have a slotted cross slide that's much more rigid but a stiffer compound would be more useful to me..

Bernard

A different cross slide is next!!! Thanks Ray

100_0716.JPG

What I really like about it is the nice flat surface for my QCTH I made and the nice flat compound for a dial indicator base. The stock one was made like a barn roof and got in the way of both.

100_0716.JPG

Last edited:
100_0717.JPG

Here I made a cut off tool holder for the tool post I just made this is kind of fun. Thanks for the comments. Ray

100_0717.JPG

Interesting...I'll be watching this, as I do have a slotted cross slide that's much more rigid but a stiffer compound would be more useful to me..

Bernard

Did the T slotted cross slide help it be more rigid?? I am thinking about making a long cross slide but with out the T slots I will probably never use them. Ray

Excellently done Ray, I love the flat top and especially the paint. Although I do not own an Atlas I picked up a good thing here, the compound
lock bolts are toward the operator, unlike our S. Bends are on the back side (always getting into the way) of the tailstock.
thats nice !!
sam

Did the T slotted cross slide help it be more rigid?? I am thinking about making a long cross slide but with out the T slots I will probably never use them. Ray

This is the type if longer slide I have Ray, I used to use it with a four way tool post and it's very much more rigid, it bridges any wear in the saddle dovetails made by the shot slide, it's around 9" long, I mount my milling attachment on it.

I'd like to use it with a compound fitted and my QCTP, mocking it up I can see how one might be made to fit if the degree scale was made thin and flat, or even engraved into the slide itself.

The rear parting off post does work really well but I never use it now as it's too much trouble to change the slide, but if you're making a longer slide anyway it might be an idea to make a way of fitting one.

DSCF3597.JPG

DSCF7654.JPG

Bernard

View attachment 74865

DSCF7654.JPG DSCF3597.JPG

Thanks for posting those pictures that is one beefed up compound I was going to purchase the one that is cast up with partial slots in it but after reading a reveiw I think I would be better off to get a chunk of cast iron from speedy metals and make it the way I want including the degree marks as you pointed out. The use of the entire dove tail will make it wear consistantly and will give more support.. I used the compound today for the first time and man what a differance!!! even if I would have kept the same compound and just made the lower slide it would have worked ten times better than the stock one. Thanks again for the reply and the pictures. Ray

Excellently done Ray, I love the flat top and especially the paint. Although I do not own an Atlas I picked up a good thing here, the compound
lock bolts are toward the operator, unlike our S. Bends are on the back side (always getting into the way) of the tailstock.
thats nice !!
sam

Thanks Sam you should be able to do the same for the SB I started on one of those when I was a kid nice little lathe. Ray

Back