Atmos Bellows Work?

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We have a couple that need to be refilled but having difficult time finding ethyl chloride.

It seems it once was a common item for spot cooling skin for pain relief be to relatively warm boiling point it was safe until folks started sniffing it to get stoned.

It seems it is available via medical supply but need to be in that line.

Anyone here have access to that stuff

Comes in spray cans to canisters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Actually you need a physician's license as it is subject to the same basic regulations as many medications.

However, you can get it through Fisher Scientific if you can prove you're a legitimate business. Search for Chloroethane.
That's another name for it, perhaps more current in general chemistry.

That could be a solution.

Thanks for the tip!

Good day all and apologies in advance for the hijack.
Is it a difficult process to refill the bellows. My Atmos also requires this
thanks

charles

It does not look too difficult and there is a u tube video.

Looking to build a fixture to hold it cold and compressed to perform process.

Just need to get the EC.

Photos will be provided when we get started.

If anyone can locate a source that would help!

We had 2 to be done but picked up a 528-8 at an estate sale this weekend and it looks like it needs it too...chain at 12.

Just a pain to get to so that one will be last.

I have serviced several hundred Atmos in my time. Changing out a bad bellows for a good one is not that hard. But is probably not going to get it running again. I suspect it will also need a cleaning and adjustment. To work on an Atmos requires a high level of finesse. Most people cannot just go out and buy parts for the Atmos anymore. You can find folks that will recharge the/your bellows for a small fee. Maybe not a clock shop, but try and find a knowledgeable repair person that just wants to help and not want your arm and leg…Dave.

We are aware that other work will be needed.

One we picked up earlier in the year looked like someone fat finger ed the fork and it was bent badly and after some time careful bending in situ we got the clock running. Regretting not taking photos.

It is running slow and needs mainspring cleaned but the ones with bad bellows will be first ones.

Have done many 400 day clocks but the atmos will be a challenge.

Lots of re - reading of what we already have read but the bellows challenge is the current task.

Today we took a trip to the last scrap yard that allows folks to wander and we picked up a couple items for making a fixture for the bellows.

The video had a bunch of clamps and that seems risky and difficult.

Plan is to make a cup bottom with a ring top that one can place in the freezer and it would have enough mass to keep things cold long enough to inject the EC then slip in a plug and solder it closed.

Found a pile of round torch cutouts of a bit over 1 inch thick steel.

They have what looks like a "," in the edge where the torch started.

Further looking found a couple aluminum disc's same size maybe 3/8 ish thick.

Spare time project and will need to hog off a bit to get past the torch cut but given it is starting round it will be simple for the 16 X 54 L&S.

AS PICKED TODAY20161006_175935.jpg

What it looks like now...

Did not have camera handy to capture the chip pile but taking a 5/16 pass with full pressure on the feed results in a heavy screw chip that due to the roach cut came out in chunks then last pad had to peck the cut when the chip was a 24 inch long screw.

Need to flip it over for other end.

Steel is 1.25 thick and bowl is 4.8 diameter.

The atmos bellows sits in it perfect and protrudes a bit.

The aluminum will make the retaining ring later.

20161009_164348.jpg20161009_164322.jpg

Back