Attach stainless panel to cupboard front

I completed this project yesterday. I went with contact cement as it was what I had on hand.
Sanded both the stainless and the false front with 100 gr to add a bit of tooth. My shop was a bit cool at only 12 C so I am not 100% confident it will hold.
That said it looks spiffy and the in-laws are very happy.
1638209384915.png

A bit of backstory is good here.
In June my inlaws moved down the island into a townhouse closer to us. Within a month or so the mid-90's era Gaggineau gas cooktop started packing it in. They bought a new Fisher-Paykel unit but it was 6" smaller in width than the opening in the granite countertop.
I pulled the old cooktop out for them and saw that if I cut a piece of 1/8" stainless to cover the opening I could cut a smaller hole to fit the new cooktop.
Stainless bought, and cut to outside dimensions, I went to the cooktop supplier and measured the actual dimensions for the opening.
Laid it out and fired up the plasma cutter. Blamo! Cut like butter. Also radiused the corners to match the cooktop.
Had to cut 3/8" out of the granite with a diamond blade on the angle grinder. That was no fun at all.
Here's the stainless top to cover the oversize hole.
1638209872792.png

Very nice Dave.
Was that cut on a CNC plasma?

Very nice Dave.
Was that cut on a CNC plasma?

The outside was cut on a water jet machine but I cut the interior out with my plasma cutter and then cleaned it up with a belt sander. I’m rather amazed that it came out so clean. I did practice a bunch on some off cuts to get the cut dialled in.

Sweet! I didn't realize you had a water jet cutter in your shop. ;)

Sweet! I didn't realize you had a water jet cutter in your shop. ;)

Just a thing I whipped together with a spare pressure washer and a sand blasting pot. :cool:

Last edited:
Back