Attaching Drill Chuck to a Ram End.

basenjib123

Registered
Registered
I need to attach a drill chuck to the ram of a hydraulic press. What would be the best way to go about this? Thank you.

Depends. Do you need it to be able to rotate, as in using if for tapping threads? Or is rigid ok? do you need it removable? What equipment do you have at your disposal to build an adapter with?

Thanks for the reply. Ok...here is what I want to do with it. I need to push pins out of old fishing reel hinges and gear trains. I have tried the old hammer and punch deal with limited success, plus I don't like hammering away on those parts...SOOOO I thought if I could mount punches into a chuck I could press them out instead. I would prefer it removable for other jobs, etc. I thought a magnetic set up might work but I'm afraid the magnet will shatter under the pressure. I don't have much for equipment at all and I would likely have to have somebody do it for me, I just wanted to be somewhat educated so I don't get ripped off by somebody. Thank you very much..Joe.

Would you be able to drill, and tap the ram, or the plate/beam it pushes on?

There are a number of chucks for electric drills that thread on. Normally 1/2-20 or 3/8-24 thread. You would have to drill & tap the ram for the proper thread, then just use a piece of all-thread or cut off a bolt to use as a stud.

Would you be able to drill, and tap the ram, or the plate/beam it pushes on?
Yes I could do that myself. Thank you for the replies. How deep should I drill into the ram? Do you think the magnet is a bad idea?

Wow, fishing reels, hydraulic press - I would be very concerned about damaging something. How about using a small arbor press? That would allow you to control the applied pressure much better and you can use magnets to stick the proper punch or pin to the ram.

The magnet is not a great idea, they tend to be quite brittle, especially the rare earth type commonly available now. That being said, you're pressing shafts out of fishing reels -- how much force are we really talking about here anyway? Probably not a lot, and in that case the magnet may not be at great risk. It would require a very flat interface though, and the potential for getting off-center and popping out of the assembly at the least opportune moment would be a bit scary.

Thinking about my hydraulic press at home, I think the end is hardened somewhat. If I were to contemplate a similar thing for my own use I suspect I would make an adapter (an suitably sized iron pipe cap, maybe) that I could marry with the chuck (drill through for a bolt or thread depending on the chuck) and that would slid over the outside of the ram a short distance. I could use a set screw or two in from the side to hold it from falling off.

-frank

Great replies you guys, Thanks! Yeah, I know the hydraulic press is a bit much for the fishing reel deal but I need to get a press anyhow for other projects so I figured it would be best to get something bigger than an arbor press. These pins have been pressed into aluminum and brass parts and in most cases have been there undisturbed for 50 plus years (most guys don't want to deal with them). I suspect the difference in material (the pins are steel) is also making them difficult to move, not to mention corrosion from saltwater over the years in some cases. Its amazing how much of a beating these pins can take and still not move! LOL!! ....Thanks again!

Last edited:
For the purpose you stated i would use a close fitting pipe to slip over the ram shaft and be held with shims and set screws and then connect the drill chuck onto the other end of that pipe. It would be a quick change setup without needing to modify the Press Ram . It will be much easier to weld a nut or stud or drill/tap the pipe then the hardened ram.

I didn't read the entire thread before i posted and going back I See Francist suggested the same idea.

Back