Attaching Drill Chuck to a Ram End.

For what its worth and assuming you have access to an air compressor, have you considered maybe an air hammer fitted with a "Needle Punch" to get the more stubborn pins moving in a more controllable manner? I would think a cheap $25ish HF air chisel/hammer would be up to the job but then again I Cannot say that I am familiar with the type of Reel or the repair work you are doing so I could not say for sure that it will work.

I did try the drill press idea but I got nervous with the amount of force I was using and backed off, I didn't want to risk damaging the press...its not exactly the best quality. Thanks for all the replies. I will try to post a couple of photos at some point and perhaps that will make it clearer to what I'm dealing with. Thanks again.

Curious, how big is this pin? Do you have a pic of the reels? I'd really like to know the scale of this effort!

Okay I was able to get some pictures downloaded. These show the pins on the handle and on the gear assembly. As you can see there is not much room to work. The pin holding the handle measures 5/8"L and the diameter mics out at 2.553MM. You may be able to see the I did some damage pounding that pin out of the handle something I would like to avoid. Thanks again.IMG_0401.JPGIMG_0403.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0400.jpgIMG_0409.jpg

Last edited:
I think your biggest issue, is with holding everything steady enough to get the pin out.

Not knowing what all you have, I would suggest a deep well socket held in a vise, and use it to support the reel, while you holed the reel, and a punch with one hand, and a hammer in the other.

If you have a drill press vise, I would then mount the deep well socket in the DP vise, and set it on the drill press, with the punch held in the chuck. Then you can hold the reel with one hand, and work the quill feed with the other. You can get lots of pressure and control that way.

For more force, and control, I would cut a punch working end down to just enough to get things started, and then use another to finish getting the pin out.

Still against the drill press, I would then look at an arbor press. You could cut your punch handles down to 1 to 2 inches. Drill a 1/2 to 1&1/2 inch hole in the working end of the arbor press, the you can just hold the punches enough to get things lined up, and then things will stay in place. Still using a deep well socket, or piece of pipe to support the bottom side of the reel.

Think outside the box. think about holding & supporting the bottom side. Then think of how to get the pressure on the pin. Look around, and see what you have available to accomplish this.

I think your biggest issue, is with holding everything steady enough to get the pin out.

Not knowing what all you have, I would suggest a deep well socket held in a vise, and use it to support the reel, while you holed the reel, and a punch with one hand, and a hammer in the other.

If you have a drill press vise, I would then mount the deep well socket in the DP vise, and set it on the drill press, with the punch held in the chuck. Then you can hold the reel with one hand, and work the quill feed with the other. You can get lots of pressure and control that way.

For more force, and control, I would cut a punch working end down to just enough to get things started, and then use another to finish getting the pin out.

Still against the drill press, I would then look at an arbor press. You could cut your punch handles down to 1 to 2 inches. Drill a 1/2 to 1&1/2 inch hole in the working end of the arbor press, the you can just hold the punches enough to get things lined up, and then things will stay in place. Still using a deep well socket, or piece of pipe to support the bottom side of the reel.

Think outside the box. think about holding & supporting the bottom side. Then think of how to get the pressure on the pin. Look around, and see what you have available to accomplish this.

Some great suggestions there and you are absolutely right getting everything to stay still is very difficult. Thanks.

Even if you can route out a slot in some hardwood so that the handle fits then drill a hole in the center for your pin? Trying to use a socket is gonna have you tilting all over the place. Best would be to mill out a pocket in some aluminum and do as above. I would use a arbor press as powerful with more sensitivity and control.

Back