Audible Edge Finder (any good)

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I am considering an audible edge finder. Specifically the B&S model.
Is it really audible while a machine is running? Does it work as well as or better than a normal edge finder?

They are audible but not significantly so. I don't have the B & S version but I use several other brands. I usually rely on the sound for rough-in and make my final approach visually. Generally, if used properly, I find them repeatable to +/- .0001"

I think the one I have is the B&S with age and the machine running I do not hear it at all. Not my choice for edge finding. To be honest I like the inexpensive Chinese ones with the big diameter center the best except it is all metric. I will use it for center finding but for the edge I stick with the Starrett one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah before audible edge finders came along we had to rely on our guide dogs to nudge us when the contact kicked out.

I find that the edge finders tend to be more vocal at higher rpm. I generally run mine between 1000 and 1500 rpm.

If you are talking about the audible ones that make a tick, tick, tick sound, I have used the same one for over ten years, like it much better than Starrett plain style. I believe mine was a no name USA made one from Enco.

well not having one, I assumed it just gave a chirp (metal to metal) or click. It's not the wiggle or electronic type, it's the simple spring down the center, and offsets when you touch the edge.

I avoid all sorts of "gadgets" in my shop, especially electronic ones, which eventually (or quickly) die and become worthless. Quality basic tools, used properly, stay reliable and accurate on and on and on.

I use the type that has a .200 diameter on one end and a center point on the other; I have read and found it to be true that grinding a small flat on the .200 end makes them more sensitive; I did it to mine and found it to be true, the flat need only to be about 1/16" wide or less.

I use the type that has a .200 diameter on one end and a center point on the other; I have read and found it to be true that grinding a small flat on the .200 end makes them more sensitive; I did it to mine and found it to be true, the flat need only to be about 1/16" wide or less.

How would that work, wouldn't you be off by the amount of the flat?

The reason I want audible is I find that my Chinese unit is not sensitive enough, it barely moves, then it will move.
If the audible is not the way to go, I think I just may go to Starrett or B&S regulars. The Starrett gets good reviews as far as sensitivity.

Back