Automatic 6 x 18 Surface Grinder

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m looking for an automatic 6x18 surface grinder, preferably in the Pacific NW. Needs to be in decent shape and completely functional.
If its already converted to use 2x72 belts thats a plus for me!
Email me at jonathans@usseafoods.net

More accurate description would be a belt surfacer or grinder.
A surface grinder is a whole nother animal.
Confused about it being "automatic" though...

A lot of blade smiths have converted surface grinders to utilize a belt rather than keep with the stone. It remains a surface grinder and the description is correct. An automatic surface grinder utilizes servos or hydraulics to run the X and Y axis, and some machines include the automation of the Z axis as well. My current machine is manual, and my arms are getting tired!

This is just one example of a belt conversion. Most I have seen utilize a serrated 90 hardness contact wheel.
While not nearly as precise as a dressed stone that can grind to tenths, a belt is a lot faster and flattens stock to parallel sufficiently for the blade smith. I saw one smith run his belt right over the grinding wheel, and he could remove it whenever he wanted to get a stone finish.
Belt SG.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh, I see. Why not just convert yours to servo/stepper drive. I'm going to convert my DoAll to electric servo from hydraulic, I hate hydraulics. At least this is on my to do list :cautious:

Wow... Interesting.
I used to have a 6X18 Reid with mechanical drive and pick cross feed.
Used a variable reeves-type drive to the table and the pick feed is purely mechanical like an old B&S.

I wish I had the know how to convert to steppers. Seems like the way to go after my friends hydraulic SG just spewed oil all over his shop!

Back