[Mill] Automation Technologies Kl-2200 3hp Dc Spindle

The motor you linked is "brushless DC" which is really a synchonous AC motor with an inverter driving it.

I agree. But the question here is it better to go AC motor with VFD than go with this setup in the link? from the power and torque point of view not price ? and why?

I agree. But the question here is it better to go AC motor with VFD than go with this setup in the link? from the power and torque point of view not price ? and why?
All other things being equal a brushless DC motor will outperform an induction motor on a VFD at low speed.

All other things being equal a brushless DC motor will outperform an induction motor on a VFD at low speed.
I guess I will research more until I get the mill. If all is well I will buy it and try it and tell you the result. If it didn't work I am sure I will find a use for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not an engineer but have my share of experience. For me, it comes down to price with known capability components for going ac or dc. If I could get 3-4hp ge DC shunt motor($2000) and a control for it for a cheaper price I would have ended up with dc over the ac/ vfd route. More than one way to skin a cat.

I am not an engineer but have my share of experience. For me, it comes down to price with known capability components for going ac or dc. If I could get 3-4hp ge DC shunt motor($2000) and a control for it for a cheaper price I would have ended up with dc over the ac/ vfd route. More than one way to skin a cat.

I understand what you are saying. I just don't want to compromise in this project. However, I don't also want to over kill it. All this back and forth is just to understand how to minimize the wait in order to use a smaller Nema 34 motor on the Z and at the same time not compromise performance in the rapids or of cutting.

Proper setup for your Z axis makes it a mute point. My z is 200 lbs and works well. I can rapid 150 inch/min with the DMM tech servos and shoot the head clear off if not for the limit switch...

Anyway, a good quality 2 hp ac or dc motor on these machines is a proven approach and I have one of the few with a 3hp. AC or DC motor like a leeson or marathon and proper dc or ac vfd works. Good luck!

Last edited:
Proper setup for your Z axis makes it a mute point. My z is 200 lbs and works well. I can rapid 150 inch/min with the DMM tech servos and shoot the head clear off if not for the limit switch...
I am following your thread closely so that I can gain more knowledge. I am learning every day and I am sure I will be able to have everything in order when the time comes

Back