Awe Damn, I Chipped A Tooth

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
On my bandsaw blade that is. ;) Actually it was a few teeth.

I normally use a 5-8 tpi blade most of time and switch back & forth to a 8-12 tpi. I really should have switched to my 10-14 tpi blade but I only had to make one cut on some steel plate. I've done this before cutting thin alumn & just ease into it by hand & use a slow feed on the feed cylinder. Wasn't so lucky this time. Now my 5-8 tpi blade has a bad lump while cutting. Ruined a perfectly good blade by being lazy! I hate to throw the blade away & keep thinking of ways to save it or use it for something else. Wish I had a tig welder & knew how to weld. Yeah yeah, I knew better & I hear about this all the time... "been there done that" from others but finally it happened to me. Lesson learned. :bang head:

So just a reminder, don't be lazy!

rwm

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am thinking I need 3 bandsaws so I never have to change a blade to match the stock I am cutting...
Robert

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
We always had outside people come in the shop and use our verticle BS . We used to keep skip tooth blades on it for thicker aluminum or wood . It used to be an adventure when I went to use it on nightshift only to find out that 8" of teeth were missing , and another 8"s of teeth just went down my open shirt . :grin:

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
I actually have 4 blades for mine and I've been tempted to be lazy too. I finally worked out the fastest, easiest way to change the blade, and I keep at least 2 different blades close to the saw plus a pair of gloves
Mark

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I feel your pain Will, I bent a perfectly good( NOS) blade that I had just installed , it almost brought tears to my eyes, I felt so stupid for not paying attention to what I was cutting but if stuff like that happens once in a blue moon then you can always forgive yourself , I'm still working on it:tranquility:.

mike44

Registered
Registered

I normally use a 5-8 tpi blade most of time and switch back & forth to a 8-12 tpi. I really should have switched to my 10-14 tpi blade but I only had to make one cut on some steel plate. I've done this before cutting thin alumn & just ease into it by hand & use a slow feed on the feed cylinder. Wasn't so lucky this time. Now my 5-8 tpi blade has a bad lump while cutting. Ruined a perfectly good blade by being lazy! I hate to throw the blade away & keep thinking of ways to save it or use it for something else. Wish I had a tig welder & knew how to weld. Yeah yeah, I knew better & I hear about this all the time... "been there done that" from others but finally it happened to me. Lesson learned. :bang head:

Cut the blade on either side of the damaged part. Hard solder a piece of a blade to the length needed. As long as the width is the same as the blade , any TPI can be used for the small piece of blade you need. You may be able to find a shop or even a skilled person to do this for you.
The blade and the scrap piece have to be either scarfed or half lapped. I half lap the ends because I do a better job than scarfing a blade.
I believe the kits for hard soldering ( silver solder) contain a small jar of flux and 1/4" wide x .004 thick x 3'-0" long silver solder tape. Not positive on the dimensions, I bought this kit at least 20 years ago and still have about half the tape left.
I think Woodcraft sells these kits. The hardest part is preparing the blades by scarfing or half lapping. I do this on a mill with a cup stone grinder.
I glued a magnet to a board that is slotted the width of the blade. The magnet holds the blade flush to the board for grinding. This is not a precise operation but works for me. Try for a slight undersize fit , about .003 or so . This assures when the blade is soldered there will not be a hump.
The soldering itself with a propane torch goes fast. Only seconds to heat the blade til the solder runs.
Check You Tube videos for more info. WoodCraft has a tutorial .

mike

horty

Registered
Registered

This has happened to me to, years ago, when I didnt have a dime to spend, I borrowed some money from dad to buy a new blade for my old piece of junk band saw, cant remember what really happened but in about 2 minutes something twisted or caught and broke out 5 teeth, I thought of silver soldering a good piece of blade in place but instead built up the broken teeth with silver solder and took the grinder and kinda shaped teeth the best I could, It run smooth and still cut good. Worked good for many months, when I sold the saw the blade was still on there cutting good.
Might be worth a try if you have some silver solder and flux.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock