AXA, BXA What the HEXA!!!

CNC Dude

Active User
Registered
Group,

When it comes to Quick Change Tool Posts, I imagine there are some standards out there, right? I see Aloris, Phase II and imports have different nomenclature. Since I was duped into thinking I was acquiring an Aloris tool set (ARG! Why didn't I check better???) I am not really certain what I have. Some of the tool holders are in fact Aloris, but the tool post and the other tool holders are definitely a Chinese knock off. I am thinking I have AXA. How do I know?

And if I do have AXA, I have seen there is AXA2, AXA19? What the hickory hock?

On the other hand, I see a number such as 250-10x on the knock offs. I have seen that PHASE II uses these numbers, although my holders do not say PHASE II, hence I assume they are imports.

Here are the numbers I have:

250-101
250-102
250-104
250-107
AXA2

Curiously, the AXA2 looks quite similar to the 250-102, so should I assume this is the secret code? An Aloris Tool will be AXA#, whereas a PHASE II and knock offs will be 250-10#?

There aren't so much standards, as there is everyone ripping off Aloris. The part numbers are most likely correspond to the Aloris parts. For example, a #1 is a turning holder, a #2 is a turning/boring holder, #7 is a parting holder. Most of the import holders of a particular size will fit an Aloris post, and vice-versa. I know a bunch of folks buy the Aloris tool post, and then buy the cheap holders.

AXA, BXA... are the sizes (standards) of the toolpost and tool holders. they are sized for different lathe capacities (AXA for the smallest lathes).

the model number 250-001 that you see are the manufacturer model numbers of the tool holders themselves, so 250-001 would be a phase-II (AFAIR) standard double sided AXA tool holder, and another 250-xxx could be a boring bar tool holder and yet another 250-xxx could be a MT-2 tool holder ....etc

At one time I once thought the Aloris brand had a proprietary angle on the dovetail but, I've since learned this is not the case. As someone mentioned brands for a given size should fit. Sometimes, a particular tool holder will be a tight fit so, a few moments with a file and some break-in time will take care of that. You just need to know if you have an AXA or BXA and order the correct size.

I'll post a size comparison between the two once the web site problem is cleared-up Stand by. AXA measures about 2.1" on the backside of the block and BXA is about 2.6". The calipers for reference are opened to 2.6".

Ray

If I understand correctly, the terminology that I have seen is as follows-

AXA - 100 series
BXA - 200 series
CXA - 300 series

So that would say that the part numbers you have mentioned that end in 102, etc. would probably be considered 100 series holders. I'm pretty sure that not every holder will be marked as either AXA or 100, but most vendors seem to use one of the two designations in their descriptions.

If I understand correctly, the terminology that I have seen is as follows-

AXA - 100 series
BXA - 200 series
CXA - 300 series

So that would say that the part numbers you have mentioned that end in 102, etc. would probably be considered 100 series holders. I'm pretty sure that not every holder will be marked as either AXA or 100, but most vendors seem to use one of the two designations in their descriptions.

I have an older set of "imports" that are marked with 250-xxx and they are AXA size so while that may hold for some I don't think it's universal by any means.

JMHO

-Ron

Here's the picture as promised below.... AXA on left, BXA on right.

QCTP.JPG

Ray

QCTP.JPG

Holy cow, I didn't know that the BXA was so much beefier. that's a pretty huge difference just in block size.. Thanks for the side by side pics.

Bob

Yeah Bob -and truth be known on that 12" lathe, a BXA can overpower the compound by a healthy margin -kinda like Sweet Pea arm wrestling Pop Eye.

Ray

Holy cow, I didn't know that the BXA was so much beefier. that's a pretty huge difference just in block size.. Thanks for the side by side pics.

Bob

Bob

You should see a CXA sitting next to an AXA. Boy that makes the AXA look punney

Back