Axa Or Bxa For 10" Lathe

I bought an AXA tool post for my Logan 10" lathe, and it was the single best upgrade I made. I really liked it, and it was a perfect fit for the machine. I have a BXA toolpost on my 13" lathe, and that is an equally good fit for that machine. I wouldn't use BXA on a 10" lathe, though.

GG

I have an AXA on my 11" Rockwell but got a CXA on my 13" Acraturn. Bigger is better if it will work. Bigger is more rigid and makes prettier cuts. Less vibration is seems. If your compound will allow the BXA, go for it, you would be sorry. Blocks hold larger tools too, another plus.......

My lantern toolpost is 1" in diameter with a 1-3/8" square base.

These are nigh on impossible to find. I *THINK* I found a complete toolpost on ebay but won't know for sure until I receive it in the mail. The auction was almost over when I came across it, so it was buy it or lose it. The dimensions stated in the auction matched my incomplete toolpost.

Measure from the center of your chuck to the top of your compound. I have AXA to check clearance, if the BXA will fit you can use larger tools......just a reminder......bigger tools are sometimes easier to find on the used market. Less vibration and flexing too, i.e., better finishes.

Shars sells a 101-XL tool holder for the AXA QCTP. It is designed to take a 5/8" tool bit but when used with the 1/2" tool bits will drop the tool by 1/8" which should bring the lowest setting below the center line. I believe that the Dorian and T & O AXA tool holders are a 1/16" lower at minimum than the Aloris, Phase II, or Shars standard 101.

Bob

An update on the Shars 250-101 XL AXA style tool holders. I received two of them this afternoon and did some measurements. The floor of the tool bit shelf measured .411" and .415" above the bas of the tool holder. This compares to .440 for a 250-101. With a 1/2 tool bit, this would bring the minimum height to .911" and .915". While it does not drop an 1/8", it is better than the spec of 15/16" or .938" published by Aloris, Phase II, and Shars.

Bob

I use a BXA and have a mix of AXA & BXA holders cut the dovetail wider on the AXA holders for flexibility on up close work.
The bottoms of BXA can be cut to get lower or the cutting face of HSS tool can be ground lower,bottom of insert holders can be trimmed to lower insert height.
Many solutions to a small problem. Hobby machining is use/adapt what’s available. Example bottom of tool holder can be faced off in lathe.

I just got done machining the bottom of a 1inch shank is car holder to 3/4 to use on a bxa post, although I made a holder to hold it, almost same dimensions of a bxa XL holder, mines a little beefier and has indexing capabilities

Back