AXA tool post on LMS3540 / Sieg SC4 help

jeffkash

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I want to put an AXA tool post on my LMS3540. LMS sells item 4914 to replace the compound rest top, but it is out of stock til mid November. Does anyone know the measurements of the 4914 part? I could mill my current compound rest top if I knew the amount to take off.

If you can live without the compound for a while, why not make a solid plinth to replace it? That way your compound
stays stock and you gain the rigidity of the plinth. When item 4914 comes in, you'll be set.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I want to put an AXA tool post on my LMS3540. LMS sells item 4914 to replace the compound rest top, but it is out of stock till mid November. Does anyone know the measurements of the 4914 part? I could mill my current compound rest top if I knew the amount to take off.
I have had a Travers Tool version of the Sieg SC4 for about 12 years. I have been using an AXA tool post since it was new. The problem with the AXA Tool holders is that the front left corner of the compound slide limits how far down the tool holder can go. A number of ways to solve the problem. On the stock tool holders the bottom lip that the tool rests on is specified at 7/16 (about .44) thick. If you use 1/4 tool bits or your tool bit is ground so that the cutting edge is about 1/4 from the bottom, that works. There used to be a company called Lathe Master that sold AXA tool holders with a bottom lip of only about .3 thick. That allows you to go to 5/16 tool bits with no problem. Lathe Masters is gone, but no reason you can't grind down the bottom of a tool holder yourself. Bench and angle grinders work fine. Take your time, it will take a while. Another option is to do what LMS does and cut the left front corner off the compound slide. Don't need to take much off, about 1/4 is fine and doesn't get into anything important.

Back