Axle rebuild

ddillman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Had a little wear on the axle end when I bought a backhoe. I had put on washers to take up the slack. Finally disassembled and fixed it right. Probably not the best way to mill it down but it worked. The axle weights about 400lb

IMG_0646.jpgIMG_0647.jpgIMG_0648.jpgIMG_0649.jpgIMG_0650.jpgIMG_0651.jpgIMG_0652.jpgIMG_0653.jpgIMG_0654.jpg

Finally disassembled and fixed it right. Probably not the best way to mill it down but it worked.
It worked, that is the biggest goal. I probably would have tried to use hand tools, I think your way was better. Great job.

Oh yes. Been there and done that. I bought a Case 580c and had to fix the king pins the same way . The previous owner said to keep them greased. Obviously they were hundreds of hours passed needing grease.
I didn't own my mill at the time and just welded the holes up some and used the die grinder for boring the holes perfectly round.

Nice fix.

Joe

Nice job. I suspect one of the more challenging parts of that project was getting it onto the mill table. I see how you leveled it left-to-right, but it's hard to tell from the photos how you leveled it front to back. How'd you keep it from tilting forward?

Regards

I need to pull out the axle on mine and fix the pivot. It is all wore out also.

Joe

It's hard to see in the picture but the one end is held by an engine hoist. It wasn't super acurate but good enough that it took a few minutes to clean up with a file. I am also repairing the axle pivot and the steering linkage.

Reactions: tjb
Is the base metal cast iron or cast steel? What kind of rod did you weld it up with?

not cast iron I think they just used a solid steel bar and bored the ends for the king pins. I welded it up with 7014 rod. I had a couple of spots that needed touch up and used the wire feed for that.

It's hard to see in the picture but the one end is held by an engine hoist. It wasn't super acurate but good enough that it took a few minutes to clean up with a file. I am also repairing the axle pivot and the steering linkage.
I caught the engine hoist. Great idea. Looks like that did a very adequate job of 'left-to-right'.

The second and third pix make it look like the tongue would cause it to drop in the front? Was that an issue or was it sufficiently counter-balanced?

Regards

Back