Axle rebuild

I seem to recall the Case 580D? had a steel axle,next model 580E had a cast nodular iron axle ........with a warning cast in......Anyhoo ,one of my customers managed to run on a failed kingpin bearing until the end broke off......I explained to him"no can weld" etc.......being the kind of guy who didnt accept any answer didnt suit him ,he took it to his welder mate "Rocco".......who did a 600A mig bead which looked pretty impressive......Unfortunately ,we all know what happened next.....and at 25mph on the road ......he had the bucket down ,so it just skidded without too much drama........Soooo...I had to find an earlier steel axle .....and the machine parts yards are quite cluey about the demand for the steel Case axles....$2500,half new price.

My 580c has a fabricated front axle. It has already had the ends replaced in a former life. They do make a replacement piece for the ends. Kinda pricey for a home guy.
Joe
Screenshot_20201231-083807_Chrome.jpg

I had the king pin hole on my old 1980 IHC 280 backhoe blow out. Had a "professional" welding shop repair it, and it lasted about 2 minutes. The axle itself was massive , and made of cast steel, but the king pin area was quite thin (poor design). I ended up fixing it myself with high nickle rod, preheat, and a lot of peening during the process. It was still fine many years later when I sold it with the business. Not a fun repair to do, yours looks pretty good. Mike

Back