[4]

Aybody have a high power rocketry permit?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Rbeckett

Brass
Rest In Peace
Been looking at some high powered rockets and keep seeing a requirement for a class II license or you can purchase one engine for an attempt at certificstion. Any one familiar with the test and does it require a huge amount of study to pass, or is it more safety based and common sense. I don't have an issue with studying, but I would like to make sure I am studying the right things before I attempt to certify. Unfortunately these motors are very expensive, so recovering your gear has a financial as well as safety trail to follow. I'm interested, somebody talk me into the rest of it....
Bob

Daver

Active User
I used to work with a retired USAF Missilear. He had a bumper sticker that read 'As a Matter Of Fact, I am a Rocket Scientist!'.
He was a great guy.

Anyway... back to your question, start here: Tripoli

brt

Active User
You get a Tripoli (or NAR) Level 1 just by building and safely flying a rocket not much more complex than the old Estes one you built as a kid. Level 2 requires building and flying a rocket that can handle a bigger motor and a written test. When I got mine 3 years ago, it took about 3 hours of study. It's just the safety regs and a little bit of understanding the basics of rockets. There are study guides on the net.

For my rocket, I did more than was required - I built a dual deployment, computer controlled, 4" model. I flew it in a single deployment configuration for Level 1, then added some mods and flew it in dual deploy configuration for Level 2.

Your best bet is to hook up with a local Tripoli or NAR club and ask for help and mentoring. There's usually a local parts dealer/supplier that helps the club, as well. So you won't have far to go to get parts and motors. I would highly recommend to build the simplest possible rocket for the certification attempts.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tommie D

Active User
Yes I have been doing HPR for years. Best to find a local rocket club and make some new friends. Rocketry is a blast but can drain the bank if you let it. I'm a KloudBuster and here is a link to our club.

http://www.kloudbusters.org/

[6]
[5] [7]