B.C. Ames "milling machine" ID and info needed

MontanaLon

Registered
Registered

Popped up locally and I can find exactly zero information on the web about it. Not even a picture that is similar. The price is in my range and I think it could do much of what I plan to do. But the lack of information is a drag.

Anyone ever seen one or have one in the garage or even a moldy copy of an manual?

I’m sure you found this already, but what I think you’re looking at is a modified machine. I don’t think it was a vertical mill as purchased.
I was wondering if that may be the case because the the angle plate between the base and the head appears to be fabricated from plate steel instead of being a casting.

But the head of it looks to be well made and all castings and actually meant to do what it is doing, though the knuckle in there seems to be out of place and unneeded. It certainly isn't going to contribute anything to rigidity. I'm just curious enough to drive up and take a look at it. The badge on the head can be the key to the whole thing. Figure out who made that part and it will be easier to figure out what it is other than a Frankenmill.

I think it could actually work for some light, very light milling but really not going to do any serious work.

Interesting home brew. Looks like the base and table are original, and the head mount is fabricated. The head itself looks to be from some other machine. Appears it would have four speeds, which is two more than the original. I think it could be a pretty versatile little rig. Mike

More detailed pictures of the head and mounting would be nice.
Tonylathes archive shows an ancient Ames vertical attachment which mounts the same as yours:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I have one of these, See this thread... really cool machine that I have done nothing to but fill the cups with oil, indicate it for true running along the x axis and plug it in... Best $50 I ever spent... Photos are down about 5 posts in this thread. I also added a video in the thread... Not visible is the 2 speed gearbox under the table, so that makes it 6 speeds total, not sure if the gearbox is factory.. my searching found them to be 1880-1920 ish era...

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...c-ames-benchtop-table-mill.61597/#post-541869

Last edited:
Back