B.M.C 1.5 diesel rebuld .

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
Had a bad day yesterday. found the boat engine had fuel in the oil, LOTS of it pumped out 7lt of very thin oil?
it don't look like the lift pump ,its dry in that area but i have fuel in the bilge on the injection pump side ,But cant see a leak?

I don't know how long this has been faulty but I noticed the pressure was low last time out.

I have a few other items that require attention so its time for a rebuild.

So i will be looking for spares I don't know what yet. but best start the ball rolling!!!:thinking:

Brian.

At last things are moving,
As I cannot remove the engine in one piece without dismantling large parts of the boat I have to remove it in manageable parts so the, head -- gear box---flywheel--bellhousing--and all the small parts have been removed.

P1011921.JPG

P1011937.JPG

P1011938.JPG

Now all I have to do is lift it, slide it sideways into the walkway, then forward into the main cabin.

Brian.

P1011921.JPG P1011937.JPG P1011938.JPG

looks like a miserable job. did you do it while working on your elbows ? on my old 30 foot chris craft i had to do all my work below my knees while kneeling on the deck. i still hurt when i think about it. this boat looks a bunch bigger. good lluck with your project.

Hi David.
Yes it a real PITA but if you think that was bad, try this, when the engine wants your work space!!!!

P1011939.JPG

P1011940.JPG

Next thing is to move stairs then move the motor into the main cabin. but tomorow will be a day off.
:whistle:

Brian.

P1011939.JPG P1011940.JPG

Just to encourage you...

Our BMC 1.8 head blew last year. I took the head off, checked it over, decoked it and refitted it with a new gasket. We were under way again 23 hours after it failed :)

Well, we had somewhere we had to be!

Lots of spares for BMC 1.5 engines, and a pretty robust unit. That should be a satisfying job

Do watch the heater plugs though

Richard

Hi Richard.
Thanks for the encoragement, at 72 I need all the support I can get. The job its self is easy.its getting to it, thats the problem.
All This hassle because a small oil seal in the injection pump failed.
I will probably change the heater plugs altho i do not have to use them here in the med, But while I have it all apart it seems a wise move.
Today I have been clearing space for the motor in the cabin, moving parts I have dismantled up to the house .
for cleaning and overhaul.
Once I have the engine apart I can write a shopping list.

More later Brian.

If they are the very thin ones, and you don't use them, I would leave them alone. If they fail, they develop a lump on the side of the end. When you unscrew them from the head, this lump sticks in the mounting hole and the end gets twisted off. Then it's a tricky job to get them out

Richard

To day I had a go at the heater plugs, I knew Number one was suspect because it had copper washers under the top so I left well alone for 12 years but now I have the head off its time for action.

P1011941.JPG

P1011942.JPG

As suspected a dead heater and as Richard pointed out the end is stuck in the head.

So I made a bush to align a drill slightly smaller than the element of the heater. and drilled down to the corect depth, and the dead end came out with the drill.

P1011943.JPG

P1011944.JPG

I ran a drill of the correct size through to clear out the carbon and we now will have 4 new plugs if we ever require them:))

Slowly---Slowly Brian. .

P1011941.JPG P1011942.JPG P1011943.JPG P1011944.JPG

At last a chance to get to the boat and make progress
Moved all the upholstery into the front cabin, and protected the wood work, then draged the motor into the main cabin, for a swift internal inspection.
Apart from the timeing chain and oil seals and a slight glazeing of the bores the motor is in very good condition. I now have the list of spares I require. the injection pump and injectors are in the shop for repair so things are moving.

P1012014.JPG

Brian.

P1012014.JPG

Back