B.M.C 1.5 diesel rebuld .

The next part requireing attention was the heat exchanger, long ago a engineer??? had fitted the injection elbow to the alloy casting with a copper gasket. the resulting electrolisis caused a lot of damage to the mating faces.

P1012044.JPG

So I set it up on the mill ,A bit of a tight fit!.

P1012059.JPG

And took a skim to see the damage.

P1012046.JPG

The strengh of the flange was still ok but the mating face was shot.
So I bored out the bad area.
Made a spacer from a scrap pully.
Bonded it in with Hi Temp epoxy
Then skimed the surface.

P1012055.JPG

P1012058.JPG

P1012060.JPG

That will fix it

Brian

P1012044.JPG P1012059.JPG P1012046.JPG P1012055.JPG P1012058.JPG P1012060.JPG

Brian,
I used to do that type of work and know how frustrating it is when you find an issue like the copper gasket and all the trouble it causes. I think your solution to the damage is great and should provide many many years of trouble free ops into the future. Is your cooling system a sea water system or does it use a heat exchanger? Looks too clean to be a sea water system, but anything can happen when you talk about boats and seawater. I was going to point out that it looked like the fuel had been running down the outside of the engine under the pump flange but you already figured out where the fuel was coming from. Unfortunately I have a place here in the US that I get to rebuild all of my pumps and spec them out. If you have an issue with you rebuilder let me know and I will forward the info for a reputable pump repairman and facility here in the US. The freight might be high, but I trust the fellow and know he does excelent work on every pump I have ever sent to him for repair or calibration. Good luck and hope the rest of the project goes uneventfully and you get navigating again under power soon.

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes this is a manifold / heat exchanger the big round hole is where the tube stack lives, a far better system. then raw sea water cooling.
I have a good man to do the pump who realy understands what he is doing.
This job is going to take a long time because now the engine is out I am taking the chance to do all the jobs that one normaly cant get to
like a rewire etc. Also fitting a AIS transponder and DSC radio at the nav station.
So along with the clocks and Normal??? life I will be a busy boy.
Thanks for the offer of help its much appreciated.

Brian

The next little job that needed attention was the the fuel filter. It was a real PITA to change. The problem was that when the engine was converted for marine use the oil warning light switch was replaced with a sender unit for a pressure gauge, this made changing the filter element almost impossible, without dismantling the whole assembly.

P1011918.JPG

I did not want to alter the original pipework, so I had to find a new place to tap into the oil system for the sender. Luckily the engine conversion included an oil cooler and the adaptor seemed a good place to do the deed.
So after taking a few measurements the adaptor was put on the mill and spot faced.
P1012308.JPG
The hole was then drilled just under size with a slotting drill. This was because the hole was not going to enter the oil way on centre and I dld not fancy my chances of the drill grabbing.
P1012309.JPG

Then the correct size drill and tap 1/8 NPT.

P1012311.JPG

Looks OK
P1012316.JPG
And fits perfectly, the original position now has a switch for a warning busser.

Brian I dont know what went wrong with the photo order but it won't change back. B.

P1011918.JPG P1012308.JPG P1012309.JPG P1012310.JPG P1012311.JPG P1012316.JPG

Ooops went out sailing and forgot to finish the thread.

I will get a few more photos together and do the job, my apologies
thanks for reminding me.

Back soon Brian.

HI Guys,
just 2 say I'm a 1.5 fan......my engine has done around 750,000 miles (in Europe) re-bored twice....and 1 crank grind.....
for anyone interested, unless the quality has change those heater plugs were always useless....
I looked after a fleet of narrow boats and our conversion was to weld up a large-ish lug on the inlet manifold then drill and tap to fit a Massey Ferguson tractor heater (diesel fuel) starter device....in fact any boat conversion I ever did the client never got the option, they got the mod anyway.....
my current engine I've owned for nearly 40 years......
this engine is fitted to a early 50's Morris J pick-up......incidentally I took 2 Los-Angeles and drove back via Texas.....
all u people must watch out, this crap they call fuel with the "bio fuel oil" mix eats seals, fuel lines, copper pipe and aluminum....on the old engines where they still have the old compound for seals I add a pint of engine oil for 5 galls of fuel.....bit like 2-stroke really....
anyone interested in old vans and motorcycles always happy to chat....
cheers, clogs

Back