B&S 120” straight edge.

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
So I went somewhere with my dad and there was a brown and sharpe straight edge about 10 feet looked up pictures and it is 120” for 600 rusty so needs clean up re milled and scraped but I think that is a great deal so does anyone know when these where made and how many I can’t find much but there is two for sale for a lot and just wondering if that is a good deal and any other information about them it is leaning on a tree and the tree is eating it but very slowly it will take ten years for it to be stuck.

That would be one of the poorest purchases that one could make; it would take a straightedge as long or longer to successfully rescrape it, and if it were done, what could one possibly do with it? It is too big for all but the largest work; when did they make them? I bought a 48" one in the mid 1960s, and I suppose they still made them until they went out of business.

So anyone who has a precision measuring tool leaning against a tree clearly doesn't value it $600 worth. It's only a great deal if you need such a tool, I don't.

If it was $60 it would be worth picking up just for bragging rights but $600? Nope.

John

If you watch eBay long straight edges like that sit forever. They have little application especially to the hobby machinist. And like benmychree said how are you going to true it up correctly?

Yes there are a few on eee bay. Not much call for them.

Joe

That would be one of the poorest purchases that one could make; it would take a straightedge as long or longer to successfully rescrape it, and if it were done, what could one possibly do with it? It is too big for all but the largest work; when did they make them? I bought a 48" one in the mid 1960s, and I suppose they still made them until they went out of business.
well at the place there is small 18 inch straight edges that have been calibrated with the tag and they make great wall art and you never know what you might need them for and leaving it lets history die and it is an amazing piece of history that could be useful for machine rebuilding.

Last edited:
you can use a smaller straight edge or a surface plate to scrape it in or use lasers and new stuff like that.

If you watch eBay long straight edges like that sit forever. They have little application especially to the hobby machinist. And like benmychree said how are you going to true it up correctly?
if i get it scraped in i am planing to get an old shaper that would be a great scraping job on the square ways, and the ones on ebay are thousandths of dollars

Back