B&S #13 It's the accessories that cost. LOL

Starlight Tools

Active User
Registered
I have had this B&S #13 for a few years now.

It came with a good pile of the goodies, but since then I have been adding more.

Shortly after I got this gal, I found the plate to mount a magnetic chuck and a magnetic chuck for it along with a few extra wheel holders a a set of guards.

Just got a hold of the universal head, a few more chuck plates and face plates and a radius dressing attachment for it.

HPIM0262.JPG HPIM0263.JPG HPIM0264.JPG HPIM0265.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2060.JPG

As I have mentioned before, when I ordered it, I was told by the salesman that it was 220V 3 phase, which I figured would not be any problem, but when it arrived, I discovered that it was in fact 550V 3 phase, Oops. The saleman sent me a 220 to 600V transformer which I then wired into the phase converter.

Overall it runs really well.

Here are some of the goodies that I have added. Got the lot except for the steady rest and extra tailstocks.

Walter

MVC-002F.JPG b&s13tooling 001.jpg MVC-001F.JPG

Senna

Nice grinder!! I envy your collet chuck for the headstock.

Just need to find out what type of collet chuck it is.

The machine came with some collets, a set of #9 B&S which fit the End Mill Sharpening attachment, the tray of South Bend #3 and Rivett 2S collets with no holder shown in the picture, but the collet chuck that was mounted on the headstock has no information stamped, etched or otherwise on it and no collets to fit it.

I just got in the Vertex 9" Precision dividing head, and choose that as I already had the #9 B&S collets that fit it.

The gray box shown beside the grinder in the picture was full of various grinding wheels.

I also just ordered a proper replacement belt guard for the spindle as the one that came with the machine does not allow for wheels to be mounted on the belt side of the spindle.

Also have added a few Diamond Cup stones, a diamond and a CBN Dish Wheel.

Walter

Dang, I wish you had no use for the B&S9 collets as I need some of those for the Gorton 8.5D mill I just got.

What taper is your head and tailstock? Mine is B&S7 but I know the later ones could be ordered with MT3 centers.

The headstock and tailstock of the #13 are B&S #7 taper.

The end mill attachment is B&S #9

The Vertex BS-1 Semi Universal Dividing head, Dang nabit was supposed to be B&S #9 but is in fact MT3 in the headstock and the tailstock uses a non tapered straight shanked quill, and looks identical to the tailstock for the Vertex 8" HV rotary table. The Spindle is supposed to be threaded 1-1/2 - 8 but is in fact not threaded, The face plate with combined direct indexing plate is held on by six socket head cap screws.

The Vertex 8" HV Rotary Table is MT3

That fancy collet chuck on the headstock of the B&S #13 is an unknown taper at this time and I have no collets for it.

As for B&S #9 collets see Jeff at http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=17 he has both collets and end mill holders in #9 available.

Walter

Turns out the answer was under my nose all the time, it is shown in the B&S #13 info that I have. It is the Headstock Draw-In Collet Attachment, wrench operated made by Jacobs Manufacturing Co and uses the 900 Series Rubber Flex Collets.

11 collets with a grip range or 1/16 to 1-3/8"

Collets on route.

Walter

Thanks for your help Senna

Now I can get that chuck mounted and used again. It was mounted on a faceplate, but I will switch it over to a chuck plate when they get here.

Walter

Jacobs-900-series.jpg

Attachments

• 036-028.pdf
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
I didn't help much but I'm glad to see another #13 being used in a hobbyist's shop.I find the machine to be remarkably versatile and nearly bulletproof to boot.I'll be getting started grinding a wheel balancing arbor soon and it will be key to making a wheel adapter for my big DoALL SG.I can see a lot of work getting done on the #13 in the future. Love my 13!

Not so sure about that "being used" part. Right now it has been being used as a very heavy bench grinder to freehand sharpen bits.

In spite of what they say about diamonds and steel, I put an awesome edge on a Wiltshire staysharp knive that has never been useable in the 20 years it has been sitting in the knove block taking up space. Now it slices through over ripe tomatos like butter.

Gearing it up for a job that is hopefully coming up that needs some accurate indexing so told client that he could teach me how to do them, and I would go at them. He is a Tool and Die maker and is set up with a CNC shop, but does not have a grinder like this.

Walter

Being in your shop and ready for use is good enough for me!

It's a nice, easy machine to use. The controls are laid out conveniently and for most tasks the operation is self evident.

My KO Lee BA900 manual explains and describes the various operations much better than the B&S manual does though. Thankfully most of the operations described for the BA900 translate to the #13 very well with a bit of thought.

You should download a copy of the KO Lee operating instructions. Available right off of the KO Lee website and in various other places on the 'net.

I have the B600 Series Parts list, the BA900 Series parts list, the B600 Fixtures parts list and the KO Lee owners manual 1979, plus a bunch of other brands of T&C Grinder info along with an original fo the Norton book that I had shipped from Australia. Electronic copy is also on the HD takes up over 1 Gb. will check the KO lee site to see if there are any others I am missing.

Once the downloads section is back up, you will find many of the files I have are on there. When I was an adminstrator / moderator for this site, I contributed much of my library to the site and spent a lot of time keeping the downloads section up to date and was sorting out the duplicate copies, but have not been in that position for awhile.

Walter

Senna

Can you supply me the link to the KO Lee BA900 manual that you have so I can see if I have a copy of it.

Thanks

Walter

Back