B&s #2 Micrometer

Jeff May

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a #2 Brown & Sharpe 0 to 1" micrometer.
It is off by about .0015"
I tried taking the spanner and turning the barrel. All I managed to do was bend the tip off the spanner wrench. It seems like the barrel is stuck pretty good.
I have searched all over the internet for anything about these mics. I gotta say, I can't find much about them.
SO,
Is there anyone out there with info or an exploded view of these mics, or info on how to adjust them?
Also,
Does the #2's have a friction type thimble?
Thanks,
Jeff in Hagerstown

This is a video from Keith Rucker, titled "Micrometer Basics: Use, Care and Calibration".
In addition to reading and calibration, he covers disassembly.
Make sure that your standard is accurate.

Daryl
MN

Daryl,
Thanks for the info.
I did watch it.
Went back out to shop and finally figured out how the danged thing comes apart and adjusts.
Happy to say its all cleaned up, oiled and adjusted.
Thank You ,
Jeff

I have a Starrett T230 micrometer than the thimble will not rotate at all. The micrometer looks pristine -No rust, No dents.
The lock nut moves in one direction freely.
I have soaked the micrometer in Kroil for a few day in a plastic bag and hot garage.
The ratchet click okay in the tightening direction. What to do?
I have tried to look at the 3D images but need a computer that operates in C language.
A 2 D with directions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave

Most likely the barrel of the mic is probably rusted to the inside of the frame. I had gotten a Mitutoyo mic that had the same symptoms. I soaked in pb blaster for a week tapping here and there every once in awhile. It finally freed up and the barrel had a rust line everywhere it was contacting the frame. I then soaked the barrel in vinegar to remove the rust and used a pipe cleaner on the frame bore. Cleaned up real nice and works as it should. Keep soaking.

After a month soaking in Kroil, the spindle is still stuck. The other external parts are free. Time to use a small strap wrench or pliers with leather to protect the spindle?

Back