B&S #2 Surface Grinder

Anyone have a .pdf ... or know if there is a scanned copy of the B&S No 2/2B Operator's manual online somewhere? I was surprised to note that this unit has 6.5" x 20" of travel... so going to see if I can locate an original or import 6 " x 18" permanent mag chuck for mine. The B&S 510 chuck works fine for now though... I'm putting priority on getting a VFD first so I can at least use it.

Also wondering what the spindle adapter wrenches look like? Can someone post a picture?

Happy Easter!
Jeff Pfeifer

Last edited:
BTW Guys,

In case you're interested, the arbor taper on my B&S #2 is 7.125[SUP]o[/SUP] from centerline (or 14.25 side-to-side). The center nut is 1/2" LH thread.

BTW: The eBay market is flooded with hub adapters whose locking plates are RH thread. -Don't buy one if you value your life. The locking plate will unscrew in a heartbeat. I bought one on eBay and the ad said it was for B&S grinders. -No soap.

Also, I'm in the process of making a balancing hub adapter modeled after commercial units on the market costing upward of 400 bucks. When I finish building mine, I'll post the CAD drawings.

Ray

BTW Guys,

In case you're interested, the arbor taper on my B&S #2 is 7.125[SUP]o[/SUP] from centerline (or 14.25 side-to-side). The center nut is 1/2" LH thread.

BTW: The eBay market is flooded with hub adapters whose locking plates are RH thread. -Don't buy one if you value your life. The locking plate will unscrew in a heartbeat. I bought one on eBay and the ad said it was for B&S grinders. -No soap.

Also, I'm in the process of making a balancing hub adapter modeled after commercial units on the market costing upward of 400 bucks. When I finish building mine, I'll post the CAD drawings.

Ray

Thanks Ray for the taper info... I've been curious as to what taper my model P32 Pope motorized spindle has on it. Currently it has a 7" x 1/2" wheel fitted up on it so I need to machine some spanner wrenches to get the wheel/adapter off, so that I can take some taper measurements. I'm not sure if the Pope spindle is different than the original B&S or is a just standard 3.000" TPF (TPF=taper per foot? inverse-tan(3"/12")*180/pi = 14.036 deg ) as shown in this page from the William SOPKO catalog. http://wmsopko.com/sopko_04_to_30.htm

My current adapter looks more like the smaller #00207 adapter shown but has flat opposing keyways on the OD for holding. Sopko sells the pin face spanner combo wrenches as well as hex nuts to convert from the slotted center nuts. http://wmsopko.com/sopko_81_90_108.htm

I'll post more info once I get the wheel off...

Cheers!
Jeff Pfeifer

Jeff,

In all honesty, I've been confused and mislead by TPF specifications. Seems I'm missing something in terms of how it's expressed and if it represents one side from the centerline or the angle between the two sides of the taper. When I need to measure something, I always just try to boil it down to Rise over Run and take the arctan. Using a couple different basic techniques with a DI, I measured the rise over 1/2" and 1" spans at least a dozen times and I consistently came up with 0.0625 and 0.125 respectively (give or take a thou between all the measurements due to the needle sticking on the surface). This of course, is only measuring one side (from centerline to one of the sides). Anyhow, arctan (.125) is 7.125 degrees and thus 14.25 between the two sides... -and that's how I came up with that number. In all reality, the difference between 14.25 and 14.036 is 0.214 degrees... On manual equipment, it's pretty hard to get it that close.

The Sopko catalog certainly seems like a good reference though and I'd be willing to eat crow and accept that my measurements were inaccurate. Man, for my own piece of mind, I wish I could get to the bottom of that measurement.

Anyhow, I searched eBay and other places looking for a suitable reamer. -No luck. Whenever I cut an internal taper, I try (when possible) to follow-up with a reamer. If you come across one, please let me know (if you don't mind).

Thanks

Ray

Thanks Ray for the taper info... I've been curious as to what taper my model P32 Pope motorized spindle has on it. Currently it has a 7" x 1/2" wheel fitted up on it so I need to machine some spanner wrenches to get the wheel/adapter off, so that I can take some taper measurements. I'm not sure if the Pope spindle is different than the original B&S or is a just standard 3.000" TPF (TPF=taper per foot? inverse-tan(3"/12")*180/pi = 14.036 deg ) as shown in this page from the William SOPKO catalog. http://wmsopko.com/sopko_04_to_30.htm

My current adapter looks more like the smaller #00207 adapter shown but has flat opposing keyways on the OD for holding. Sopko sells the pin face spanner combo wrenches as well as hex nuts to convert from the slotted center nuts. http://wmsopko.com/sopko_81_90_108.htm

I'll post more info once I get the wheel off...

Cheers!
Jeff Pfeifer

I called wmsopko Last week about a adapter for my Jones & Shipmen, And after getting all the measurements for them they came up with $169.00 and some change for a 1/4 to 1/2. And I was going to get the spanner but I was afraid to ask the price so I just made one.

The adapter on mine takes 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 wheels so I'll just stick with that. Ray not hijacking your thread but a couple pict of the spanner I made today. I guess the man I got it from was using a punch to get it off. had to fix a few of the wholes and fill 3 other ones. Still got to make one far the nut.

Paul

Edit the spanner isn't finished yet still needs some ore work.

Wheel Adapter.JPG Pins In.JPG Trail Fit.JPG Small Nut.JPG

Not a hijack at all -it's an open thread, many months old.

Nice job on the wrench. Did you just drive a couple pins or did you affix them somehow? Whatever you do, don't use all the leverage you gave yourself with that long handle.

Some day, I would like to take my B&S spindle apart but, whoever put the locking ring nuts on there had hairy knuckles and a hunch back. -Can't get e'm off for love or money and gave up since it's not broken. -Dreading the day I have to crack that loose.

Ray

I called wmsopko Last week about a adapter for my Jones & Shipmen, And after getting all the measurements for them they came up with $169.00 and some change for a 1/4 to 1/2. And I was going to get the spanner but I was afraid to ask the price so I just made one.

The adapter on mine takes 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 wheels so I'll just stick with that. Ray not hijacking your thread but a couple pict of the spanner I made today. I guess the man I got it from was using a punch to get it off. had to fix a few of the wholes and fill 3 other ones. Still got to make one far the nut.

Paul

Edit the spanner isn't finished yet still needs some ore work.

The adapter on mine takes 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 wheels so I'll just stick with that. Ray not hijacking your thread but a couple pict of the spanner I made today. I guess the man I got it from was using a punch to get it off. Had to fix a few of the holes and fill 3 other ones. Still got to make one for the nut.

Paul

Edit the spanner isn't finished yet still needs some more work.

Hi Paul,
I was home sick earlier in the week so I called Sopko and spoke with Bill there. I told him a bit about the B&S No 2 with Pope motorized spindle that I recently brought home - but it didn't come with any wrenches. He said the wrench was $39 and I'd also need a 00116 puller for $13.50 to jack the adapter off the taper once the nut is removed. He pointed me to the 00200-1 adapter on pg. 4 as it's only $49.50 and more of a universal model they sell and lower cost than their Pope adapters. He also said to ask for a paper catalog with my order and they'd throw one in the box. I'd like one of their reversible adapters for use on a radiused wheel I need for a project... still a ways out though.

Maybe I can get a start on the wrenches & puller this weekend... feeling a bit better this morning in any case.

Stay in health my friends!
Jeff Pfeifer

Jeff glad your on the mend, I've got a wheel adapter coming from England total cost with shipping about 68.00 lots cheaper than theres.

I just figured I'd make the wrench's for mine prolly not cheaper but something else to do.

Ray I drove in the pins and welded them in place, Not planning to use that much leverage on it just wanted a good hold in it.

Paul

BrownSharpeTaperMeasurement.JPGGuys,

I'm still scratching my head about the B&S taper. I've read in a number of places, including the Sopko catalog, where it's referred to as a 3 in 12 taper which comes out to 14.036[SUP]o[/SUP]. I re-measured mine last night and without doubt, comes out to 14.25[SUP]o[/SUP] dead on the money. I also have a simple hub that fits perfectly (too bad it has right hand threads though) and using a granite slab, height gauge and TDI, the internal taper measured at 14.25 dead-on.

Anyhow, I'm about to finish-off all the fixtures for my hub-making setup and am wondering if anyone really knows the history of this B&S taper. FWIW, my spindle appears to be a genuine upgrade/conversion and all the parts look authentic and factory made.

Anyhow, if you guys have the time, would you mind measuring yours? Here's the setup I used. I measured five times on both sides of the spindle to account for possible uneven in/out (feed) travel of the bed. All ten measurements came out to 0.0625" taper per 0.5000" travel. The variance of the individual readings were virtually nil. This comes out to 7.125[SUP]o[/SUP] per side (or 14.25 side-to-side).

Ray

PS: Something seems to have changed again in the web software and I can no longer position inline pictures with any predictability. Sorry for posting the pic in the wrong spot -it's not my chosing...

BrownSharpeTaperMeasurement.JPG

Ray,

It's your dial indicators there, there not Brown And Sharpe!!!:panic:

I'm just kidding. If I get a chance, I'll set up and check the taper on my B & S 612 grinder and see what it measures.

Ken

edit: I do have one B & S 1" travel indicator I could use....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back