B&S 618 Micromaster Wheel Sleeve Source?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
I am the proud new owner of a hydraulics operated surface grinder.
There is only one wheel sleeve.
As I understand it, you neeed to have one for each wheel to make the set up much more efficient.
I’m sure I will need other parts and pieces, oil, etc.
I do have the original operation and maintenance manual
Thanks for your help,
Jeff

Jeff, "ideally" we would like to have wheel adapters for each wheel. That can get quite expensive quickly. Here is the style your Micromaster uses (Alexander is correct):
http://www.wmsopko.com/sopko_04_to_30_51_53.htm
They need to be left hand thread wheels, and need to fit the correct width wheel. Your new grinder appeared to have a 7" wheel on it, but I think I remember John York mentioning 8" wheels for that grinder. Check the manual before ordering anything. I have heard that is is proper to use adapters with a flange diameter 1/3 or more of the wheel diameter, though I have seen that not followed, along with using RH adapters instead of LH if they are on hand. I follow safety advice from reliable sources. The one that was on the grinder was sized like a Sopko 200-1 (but looked like a different brand.) I have bought 200-1 wheels for under $55 each new, but that is a very rare find. Retail price is much higher. Used adapters are a crap shoot. Damage to the taper, rust, crashes in use, and other issues can make them pretty useless, and damaged ones can look fine holding them in your hand. They really need to be pretty nice, and carefully kept that way.

When wheels are remounted to an adapter, they need to be dressed, because they will be out of round. Some grinder hands swear by balancing the wheel/hub combination, others say it is mostly a waste of time. I have found cheap wheels to have more balance problems than quality wheels. I do not balance my 7" wheels, so far. 8" wheels might make me rethink that choice. ALWAYS use the toothed I.D. washer that helps to stop the wheel from coming loose from inertia. They are fairly cheap and necessary.

If you use keyed washers behind the adaptor threaded flange nut that are keyed to the threaded portion f the adaptor, you can use RH adaptors on spindles that revolve clockwise and normally use LH flanges.
Bob, I do not quite get what you are calling "toothed washers", please elaborate.

If you use keyed washers behind the adaptor threaded flange nut that are keyed to the threaded portion f the adaptor, you can use RH adaptors on spindles that revolve clockwise and normally use LH flanges.
Bob, I do not quite get what you are calling "toothed washers", please elaborate.
Toothed washers = keyed washers. :)

I have one RH wheel adapter (got it from you!), and I have used it with the keyed washer, no trouble so far, but I check it every time I turn the spindle off. With the VFD on my grinder, I turn the machine gradually up to speed and then down until the spindle turns off, probably zero chance of problems, and the keyed washer also helps to keep it from unscrewing. Still, I have read stern warnings not to use RH adapters if the wheel turns clockwise, and it often is wise to pay attention to warnings. Being able to slowly ramp up the spindle to speed, and also turn it down slowly, also helps to keep the wheel from slipping on the adapter, helping to keep the wheel true. The belt drive to my spindle otherwise slows the spindle down fairly quickly at shutdown, which is not the case with a motor/spindle.

Last edited:
Its a washer with keys to go in to the double key way of the hub, if torque is applied to the
grinding wheel this prevents the washer from spinning and intern loosening the lock nut.
http://toolroom.solutions/wp-conten...er-taper-fit-wheel-adapter-w-ring-set-web.jpg
True, but that was unclear from Bob's reference, I made it more clear in my post. I just bought four adaptors from a member, one was not threaded at all, so I threaded it and milled key slots in it for the washer. The adaptors that fit my Micromaster also fit my Norton T&C cutter grinder, all 3" TPF and about .990" dia. at the big end of the taper, with diameters suited to 6" dia. wheels.
Sopko also makes wheel adaptors with a balancing feature, I have one, found on EB in a lot of others, a quite expensive item, and not necessary for most any work, if quality wheels are used. I had one wheel, made in Italy, I think that was so badly out of balance as to be unusable and not worth the trouble of trying to balance, that I finally threw it away.
B&S, in their operator's book for the Micromaster grinder suggests in the case of a badly out of balance wheel to gouge out a recess in the light side of the wheel. where it will be hidden under the wheel flange, and inserting lead into the recess to balance it; this to me is under the definition of too much trouble! They also suggest removing the bushing material in the wheel center (sulfur compound or lead) and re centering the wheel and rebushing it with whatever material one has on hand, such as lead or the sulfur compound. The sulfur compound can be salvaged from old worn out wheels, or use anchor bolt sulfur.

You guys are too much, you act like machinists.
I think I will wait to order any parts, adapters etc. Until the SG is in my space.
I am very excited about my new acquisitions.
The shaper is sweet.

Getting a surface grinder to cut accurately to size, square, and parallel, along with each entire surface dead flat and with an outstanding surface finish, all at the same time, is a challenge. Well, it is for me, anyway. Pick any three, no problem, we can usually get there.

I have been watching YouTube videos focusing on the surface grinder.
Suburban Tool and Solid rock machine shop have (IMHO) have some excellent videos on set-up, wheel mounting and balancing to grinding, flat, square and perpendicular.
Vintage machinery ground a new beveled gib for the big Monarch crosslide. He used the magnetic sine plate, showed the math. Very informative.
it's interesting, Don Bailey, places the diamond dresser directly under the center of the wheel, every other video shows the trailing side set-up.
Thanks for the sopco lead Bob.

Back