B&S 618 Micromaster Wheel Sleeve Source?

Placing the diamond directly under the wheel center is OK, and necessary for dressing accurate form wheels, but not ANY upwind of the wheel center. For most dressing, half an inch downwind is perfectly fine. The diamond should not be vertical to the chuck, it should be angled downstream, by 5 to 10 degrees. The diamond is turned in its holder a little every few uses so as to always have a sharp point and facets. A sharp diamond and the proper traverse rate is the key to a good dress. The proper traverse rate and amount to cut per pass depends on the wheel and the job, and is part of the art of surface grinding. I am not an artist, and probably will never be, but I am trying to learn each time I use the surface grinder, and my other tools.

When dressing a wheel for cutting softer metals, and for roughing work , it often helps to use a very fast traverse for the last pass, which leaves a "thread" in the wheel face. The grooves leave room for swarf to accumulate, and help to keep the heat in the part down. Diamond wheel dressing requires light cuts, which can be different depending on the wheel. For common wheel dressing, I do not go over a thou and a half per pass, usually one thou or less. Dressing aggressively is a good way to to destroy a diamond. I have no experience at all with using diamond cluster dressers, but would like to know more about when and how to use them, and why.

My understanding of a cluster diamond is no need to rotate. The wheel finds the high one. I have two but haven’t used them.
My question is yes you should have the diamond mounted at a angle in the block5-10 degrees going downstream. But I heard and seen that you should be cutting into the diamond. If mounted the way we are isn’t it pulling the diamond? Which could pull the diamond out of the holder? It makes sense but then how you would position the dresser would be on the dangerous side or you’d have to put that 5-10 angle facing the wheel. Idk

I have seen people pointing the diamond against the diamond, and heard that is correct, but when I watch the real pros doing it, they point it downstream. I would think there is more chance for damaging the diamond when pointed against the rotation, but just guessing and trying to learn. I have not lost a diamond yet...

And eventually wears all the diamonds flat and pretty much useless?
Yeah I don’t know. I had got mine in a auction lot the place had some big grinders 14,16” wheels 3” wide maybe used more for big wheels?
Unfortunately I don’t know enough yet to tell the difference between worn diamond,wrong wheel,or what. More like trial and error.

I think I'll make the diamond dresser holder, but when I purchase the diamond, I'll consult a higher authority.
This Forum.

On the question about wearing out diamond points for a dresser... My friend and menotr has sued the same 1 ct diamond for 38 years. When he gives up his shop, he'll be giving it to me. I don't expect to wear it out.

why?

First, it is a natural diamond. they wear much better. Second, you only take a few thou off the wheel once it is intially dressed, so the pressure is very low. third, you wear a diamond by fracturing the surface, so a smooth even pressure works well and avoids micro fractures,

I have a 1/4 ct and a 1/2 ct man made diamonds to use on my grinder at home until the good one is available. Probably I'll not be wearing out the 1/2 ct in my lifetime.

Back