• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

B&S no10 grinder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Manderioli

I have been toying with the idea of adding another machine to my shop but not sure which one. There was a B&S surface grinder months ago but I was turned off since the owner could not hook the machine up to power. I have recently stumbled on a tool and grinder no10 but not sure if I truly need the machine. Asking price is $600 right now.

Last time I ground my own tool was in college for a lathe. Since then, I have found it easier to use inserts that can easily change based on the material I am cutting. I could possibly seeing the machine worthwhile for drill bits and maybe end mills...yet with coated end mills, I don't see the point since the coating would need to be reapplied.

Here is the link to the machine:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tls/d/brown-and-sharpe-10-tool-and/6425765228.html

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Kinda looks like a surface grinder

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Kinda looks like a surface grinder
...agreed! It would take a bid load of extra tooling to make it into a "tool and cutter grinder".

Although a decent 110V surface grinder still has it's uses, but I'd only offer $500-$600.
(hey I just noticed he's got two prices in the ad....$600 and $800)

-brino

dlane

Active User
Might be $400. Next week

Manderioli

Seller says he has it setup for surface grinding.

Does the 10 have an automatic feed like a no2 surface grinder?

Supposedly will post more photos with extra tooling but the cost will go up.

Bob Korves

No power feeds on that machine. The #10 is a tool and cutter grinder. It can do many things, part of which is surface grinding. For everything it does, it needs dedicated tooling. As a dedicated surface grinder, I think you will find it lacking unless you will be doing smaller work and a great surface finish is not required. If you really need a surface grinder, then you will be better off getting a surface grinder.

Dabbler

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
--What Bob said. one thought though. If you are too poor for dedicated machines, it can suffice if you are willing to lap for final finish. I have both a surface grinder and a T&C grinder, and each is great for what it does; For very small jobs sometime the greater versatility of the setups on the T&C make the job easier so I surface grind there. But only when finish isn't an issue.

[6]
[5] [7]