B&S no10 grinder

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
I have been toying with the idea of adding another machine to my shop but not sure which one. There was a B&S surface grinder months ago but I was turned off since the owner could not hook the machine up to power. I have recently stumbled on a tool and grinder no10 but not sure if I truly need the machine. Asking price is $600 right now.

Last time I ground my own tool was in college for a lathe. Since then, I have found it easier to use inserts that can easily change based on the material I am cutting. I could possibly seeing the machine worthwhile for drill bits and maybe end mills...yet with coated end mills, I don't see the point since the coating would need to be reapplied.

Here is the link to the machine:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/tls/d/brown-and-sharpe-10-tool-and/6425765228.html

Kinda looks like a surface grinder

...agreed! It would take a bid load of extra tooling to make it into a "tool and cutter grinder".

Although a decent 110V surface grinder still has it's uses, but I'd only offer $500-$600.
(hey I just noticed he's got two prices in the ad....$600 and $800)

-brino

Seller says he has it setup for surface grinding.

Does the 10 have an automatic feed like a no2 surface grinder?

Supposedly will post more photos with extra tooling but the cost will go up.

No power feeds on that machine. The #10 is a tool and cutter grinder. It can do many things, part of which is surface grinding. For everything it does, it needs dedicated tooling. As a dedicated surface grinder, I think you will find it lacking unless you will be doing smaller work and a great surface finish is not required. If you really need a surface grinder, then you will be better off getting a surface grinder.

--What Bob said. one thought though. If you are too poor for dedicated machines, it can suffice if you are willing to lap for final finish. I have both a surface grinder and a T&C grinder, and each is great for what it does; For very small jobs sometime the greater versatility of the setups on the T&C make the job easier so I surface grind there. But only when finish isn't an issue.

Back