Back Gear Disassembly

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I installed my back gear assembly to the headstock and the gears are off by bout 1/4".I would like to move it just a 1/4 but having a time just moving it 1/32.I removed the setscrews,sprayed it down and in the hole,let it seat maybe 15min.Using my puller and a 6" crescent but noting,then moved up to a 10" and applyed more psi and nothing.I don't want to go shopping for another back gear assembly,any advice?I really need some pictures,being simple minded.Thanks---kroll

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was not that hard to remove. Have you tried heat yet?

Seems to me (I may be wrong) that you are pulling against the shoulder at the end of the shaft, the middle of the shaft being eccentric, and offset to the larger end pieces which are pinned to the middle part.

You can move the whole assembly sideways through the end bearings, it is held in line by the collars.

The gears can only be as wide apart as the shoulders allow, so if it's a problem with spacing, I would suggest that the miss alignment is more to do with the positioning of the gears on the spindle.

When adjusting the spindle pulleys and gears, be sure to look for any sneaky double grub screws lurking in the threaded holes, these can be the cause of much :banghead:

Just my thoughts, you probably got all this already..

Bernard

Last edited:
Your right and I am so wrong,finally figure it out with help from another Atlas owner.All is well,thanks guys---kroll

Back