Back gears on D/R11 rattle like crazy

krazykid

Registered
Registered
I bought this D/R11 which is in what looks like great shape. Lead screw looks original and still has brand new looking teeth in the center where it would see the most use. No damage at all on the ways or compound, no nicks on the chuck even. I’m the 3rd owner, first bought a few and started a machine shop back in the day, this one was hardly used they said, then it was sold to the guy/brother of the original owner who i bought it from and it sat in his garage for 25 years. He used it twice he said.

Anyways, looking at the gear there don’t seem to be any missing teeth, geometry looks original on the tooth profile it’s not like they are sharp pointed from a lot of sloppy use. The whiteness marks on the shaft under the spindle line right up as the manual says it should so it should have the factory backlash settings. I can rock the gear back and forth a lot, as in at least a few degrees and that’s got to be where the noise comes from... when it running without a cutting load it’s an inconsistent rattle is the best I can describe it as. Under a cutting load it sounds OK, but it’s far from a "normal" mechanical sound.

My question is. is this normal? I am somewhat new to this lathe and still learning a ton but not new to mechanical design. To me it sounds bad.

Disengage the lever on the left side so the quick change gear box does not turn, then see how much noise you have. I found that mine is real quiet with it not turning. The gears when I turned them by hand went click, click, click on the qcgb. Tim

shift that red handle knob just above your left hand into neutral, it will disengage the QCGB, up and down changes the gearbox direction, middle position is neutral. you just move it sideway and lift or lower it to get it to neutral. Tim

It maybe black, mine is red. the round ball about 8" up.

I know all of this. I think he's trying to adjust the backlash in those gears so it isn't so noisy. Mine rattles when this adjustment is loose, and sounds bad if it's to tight. See the square bolt off to the right of my hand ? You can loosen this and adjust the gear engagement. Run your machine and listen to the gears, you will know when it sounds good.

A lot of people use a piece of paper as a clearance gauge. Use a piece of plain notebook type paper and run it between the gears, then squeeze them up snug. Tighten the bolt and turn the gears to run the paper out. Then see how it sounds. Also, run a little gear oil on the gears while they're running and see if that helps.

Also, I highly recommend you take a look at your pulley gear (the one the belts run on) on the spindle. You'll find an oil zerk on it. Make sure you squirt some lube oil in there. It seems that part gets neglected on some lathes, because you have to remove the headstock cover to get to it. As I recall from the manual it was supposed to be filled every 200 hours or so. You can see the oil zerk by my thumb. Mine was completely dry and hadn't been lubed in a loooong time. I had to have the spindle journal re-ground and replace the bushings. It could be some of your noise is coming from there, since that helical gear is what engages with the back gear.

2013-11-05_10-25-25_14.jpg2013-11-27_10-47-46_360.jpg2013-11-27_10-47-51_168.jpg

2013-11-05_10-25-25_14.jpg 2013-11-27_10-47-46_360.jpg 2013-11-27_10-47-51_168.jpg

I have found that spindles driven by two belts can create gear noise if the belts are not exactly matched. I have taken to just using one drive belt because I seldom need the torque from two, and it has completely solved gear rattle on my lathe.

sorry flu kicked my butt the last few days. Ill be headed out there tonight to do some work and ill try all the suggestions tongiht and report back. ill take a quick video clip to help clear it up a bit too.

thank you all for the ideas and fast response!

Mike

Try using some 90wt gear oil on them. I have found that quiets even the most stubborn of noises in most cases. Puts a nice cushion between the teeth. Especially on the spindle. A little goes a long way. Straight cut gears were never meant to be whisper quiet. I have had very good results using gear oil, the Sheldon loves it. Jay

Back