Back in action ! NHRA

396/375 M21 12 bolt I would think. In that time (1970) I ran the same drive train in a store bought black SS Nova. Then went down to a other high performance Chevy dealer and bought an over the counter LS6 short block new 291 heads 2nd design L88 cam 850 com Holley slapper bars and and 488 gear. to run low 11s. those were great times. Everyone had what we call Muscle Cars now as daily drivers. The new LS series motors are incredible, you plug them in and go 10/11s quietly with the air on at 3600 lbs. Your Nova Will run great with a LS3 in it. And yes, it certainly is habit forming. Enjoy your new build.

Thanks. Very soon I'll get to see what it will do. I need to finished putting the passenger seat in, get the steering wheel on, put the trunk lid back on and take it around the block. I'm waiting for Grundy to come through with insurance even before I attempt the first drive. I'm a little cocerned about the hydro boost. The pedal returns very slowly after the pedal is depressed.

After I drive around the block a few times then I have to get the front end aligned. For now I used a tape measure to try and get the toe set as close as I can. Then I need to take it and get the tail pipes fitted and welded on.

Last edited:
I have a hydro boost in my 1990 sq. body 3500 chevy crew and it took a while to get use to the spongy pedal reaction Thats an interesting swap. I know my sons 1983 Riv. convertible uses that system, but I have never seen that system swapped into other cars. I've been out of the loop to long.

A lot of people use the hydro boost now. I used it because the stock vacuum booster didn't clear the valve covers on the LS engine. It was relatively inexpensive but a ton of work. Getting the brake push rod to line up with the boost unit was a real challenge. I did however learn how to make up braided hoses fairly quickly. I'd always struggled with them, but bought a KOOL TOOL installation tool and that made all the difference.

A lot of people use the hydro boost now. I used it because the stock vacuum booster didn't clear the valve covers on the LS engine. It was relatively inexpensive but a ton of work. Getting the brake push rod to line up with the boost unit was a real challenge. I did however learn how to make up braided hoses fairly quickly. I'd always struggled with them, but bought a KOOL TOOL installation tool and that made all the difference.
Wow, I thought maybe for clearance for the covers, Are custom headers needed ?. I see electric power steering is another upgrade. What year Nova. Thanks for bringing me up to date with the latest trend.

Yes I've been through 4 sets of headers. There was a set of hedmans with the car. (The PO attempted to put a 6.0 LS in it. He failed miserably)

Then I tried a set from speed engineering. Biggest pieces of junk I've ever seen. Then a set of stainless headers that hung 4" below the sub frame. Then my final set (and most expensive by far is a set of coated hooker blackhearts. They fit pretty well but you have to use their engine mounts for clearance. The mounts are way overpriced and didn't fit. The frame adapter plates were way off on both sides. I ending up making a new set of plates to correct all this.

Most things I buy don't fit and have to be modified or re made, but that's the fun of it right? Gives me something to do and complain about :p

Hooker always seemed to need the least tweaking to work. After the first hole shot you'll forget all the trouble you had.

Watched the Nats down in Carolina yesterday , just can't get used to the 4 track set up deal . Rather see the head to head competition . Coming north to Richmond Va. in 2 weeks though , hope the weather stays cool . :) Neighbor is running in both of these in SC dragster .

I think the weather will be good. I have a lifelong friend who with his sons own Numidia Raceway in Catawissa Pa., was at a communion with them yesterday, I'm going out there the end May. Spent a lot of time their in the past, but just can't do the drive much anymore. I totally agree with you about running four lane racing. New York National ran four lane years ago, too much room for error, I hated it. Have you been there?.

Back