Back in the saddle again, the reloading saddle

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hey guys.
It sure feels good to do a bit of reloading again.
All the decades of acquiring multiple presses, dies, reloading accessories, tools .... I lost it all in the fire.
I told myself I wasn't going to start over. But, I have a Winchester 94 -30-30. I can't find any ammo.
A fiend gave me two simple RCBS presses and quite a bit of reloading equipment.
Well, since I can't buy ammo. I'll load it.
I also have a S&W 626, 38 Special.

Long story of acquiring the items required I finally spent a couple hours loading new brass.
Dang it feels good, I really enjoy reloading. I'll never get back what I had but I think I'll set myself up for a few of my favorite chamberings for my favorite few firearms.

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 16
I sure enjoy it. I have several calibers in my fleet that were "odd" way back when.
264 Win Mag
300 Holland and Holland
257 Roberts
25-06
218 Bee

First handloads I ever made were the 264 with the original Lee Loader. No press. You and your well aimed hammer....

I was a bit shocked at the prices I had to pay for the very few items available.
It seems the entire industry is on back order. For years now.

When I first started reloading I bought the RCBS Rockchucker kit.
I could find dies, brass, bullets and Primers!! At a pretty low cost.
The local Sportsmen’s Warehouse wants $62 for a pound of Varget!!! I remember paying around $25.

The local Sportsmen’s Warehouse wants $62 for a pound of Varget!!!
Wow !
I haven't bought any reloading components for quite a few years (still have a pretty good stock). Back in the 70's and 80's I did some competitive pistol shooting so I did a LOT of reloading. I bought all of my powder in 8 lb canisters and was paying around $7 - $9 a pound. Bought primers for a little less than $.01 each in 5000 packs. Times have changed.

Ted

When I first started hand loading, 100 - 44 bullets were about $20, primers $1.00 per hundred, powder $10.00 per pound iirc.
Haven’t loaded anything in a while, but the price of anything to do with going bang is through the roof.
My favorites are 44 mag, 45 acp, 280 rem, 300 Win mag, 25-06,6.5x55, and
oh never mind, I like to reload and shoot em all

Chuck

Reloading is a deep, deep rabbit hole! It's also a necessity, since boxed ammo is exorbitantly expensive. I shoot about 400 rounds a month in pistol matches (which is small compared to many others), and I wouldn't be able to do it any other way. Even with $40/lb powder, $0.10 primers, $0.05 brass, and $0.12 cheapo plated projectiles, I'm barely saving $0.06 per round. The benefit is I get chronographed, soft-shooting competition loads that work in tuned pistols. Every time I buy supplies, I cry a little, because I know how much it cost when I started: under $0.10 a round.

I have handloaded for many years, my favorite is 38 - 55 Winchester, this is the first cartridge that was used in the model 94 Winchester rifle, they later necked it down to create the 30 - 30 cartridge. My uncle gave me a not well cared for octagon barrel model 94 that he bought after he came home from WW1, the bore looked like a plowed field, I had it rebored and rifled for 38-55 and also bought a high wall to take the same ammo.. Last time I tried to buy powder, they did not have any ---.

I used to load .45 230 FMJ for $0.08 / round. Primers are more than that now. Last time I *tried* to buy some they were $150 / 1000 (they were $16 / 1000 before the madness started). I remember thinking that the brief period when they were $35 was bad... I've been living on my backstock, which *was* substantial, but I'm about out of pistol primers (large and small). Still have several years of rifle supplies though.

I also started with a Rock Chucker ("Master Reloader") kit back in the 80's. I'm down to around a dozen presses now and should probably thin the herd some more - some of them are more decorations than tools at this point. I've probably used and sold another dozen presses as well, but I still have my original Rock Chucker!

GsT

Back