Backing plate for Schaublin 102 W20?

caspaincmonster

Active User
Registered
I have ordered a 4 jaw chuck (125mm) to use on my 102 so now I need to find a thread-on backing plate I can machine, fit and bolt the chuck to. This is schaublin so I know it isn't going to be simple:) The only option I can find online is from RC-machines in Luxemburg for around 90 Euro+shipping, taxes and fees to Norway which may be my best bet but the total cost stings a bit for a boring chunk of metal that probably isn't all that high quality and lacks a clamp to allow reverse operation. I probably have to buy one or have one made as I can't cut threads on my lathe yet (CNC is coming along but isn't there yet)

Am I missing anything out there?

There are a couple more options. I have some blank W20 arbors so I could shrink fit a plate onto one of those, true it up and use that, at least temperarily to work with the 4 jaw. I would like to have the spindle bore open so it isn't a good long term option.
I could also wait until I get my CNC lathe running and then make my own back plate.

thanks

Luke

I have ordered a 4 jaw chuck (125mm) to use on my 102 so now I need to find a thread-on backing plate I can machine, fit and bolt the chuck to. This is schaublin so I know it isn't going to be simple:) The only option I can find online is from RC-machines in Luxemburg for around 90 Euro+shipping, taxes and fees to Norway which may be my best bet but the total cost stings a bit for a boring chunk of metal that probably isn't all that high quality and lacks a clamp to allow reverse operation. I probably have to buy one or have one made as I can't cut threads on my lathe yet (CNC is coming along but isn't there yet)

Am I missing anything out there?

There are a couple more options. I have some blank W20 arbors so I could shrink fit a plate onto one of those, true it up and use that, at least temperarily to work with the 4 jaw. I would like to have the spindle bore open so it isn't a good long term option.
I could also wait until I get my CNC lathe running and then make my own back plate.

thanks

Luke
Hi, caspaincmonster, I got in fact 2 backing plates from RC machines for my very old Schaublin 102VM. One for the 4 jaw chuck and one for the general purpose faceplate. They are for me good value for money. Fixing on the spindle nose is done with a M8 radial bolt. That is fine if you put a small brass prop at the spindle-end of the hole. I try to cut down on shipping by assembling a larger order from RC Machines. If you have for instance the older irregular Schaublin 2 degree center, RC Machines may be your only reliable source. Missing gears are a problem; I try to solve it by cutting them myself. To that end I bought a cheap set of Module 1,25 gear cutters for about 100 euro and I cut the gears from Delrin. I'm not sure what the stability of your CNC lathe will be, but I know from hard won experience that commands even be they numerical do not count for much if you don't have a sturdy structure to execute. So, all the best and let us know what you decided to do! Peter.

I have only just seen this, so excuses for my lateness. Purely by chance I have 2 genuine Schaublin 102 backing plates with locking rings that you are welcome to for a low price, say AU$50 for the 2, plus postage from Australia, that may be the killer!! Let me know if you are still looking!
cheers
Bill
Adelaide, Australia

Thanks Bill, that would have been great but I am going to probably sell the schaublin. I just took delivery of a 1984 Leinen MLZ with yet another spindle mount :) this one is at least just a taper without threads so it is much easier to make and can't unscrew. I ended up with a used schaublin plate for too much money from Switzerland and one that doesn't fit from a guy in the Czech republic.
Luke

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Back