Backlash too much?

ericc

Active User
Registered
It feels like there is a lot of backlash in the cross slide screw. I took it apart and it is quite a bit less than 0.1". The screw is worn to points in the middle. Attached is a short video. Is this too much?

Attachments

• 20200505_174738.mp4
    10.9 MB
Yes. Judging from the amount of backlash, your nut is probably worn as well. I would replace both.

Hard to tell from your video but does the play significantly decrease as you move to either end? From the video something is worn out. You could start by getting a new nut from grizzly and see if it reduces the slop == Jack

Hard to tell from your video but does the play significantly decrease as you move to either end? From the video something is worn out. You could start by getting a new nut from grizzly and see if it reduces the slop == Jack

Hi Jack. Yes, there is substantially less back-and-forth movement near the ends. Also, a flat is visible on the crests of the screw threads. But there is still some slop.

Thanks fellas. It looks like I have a new project. Lots of little pieces to put together. The current long term project got put on hold due to the loss of a critical part.

Looks like it fits and is tight. This is the hardest part, right?

Attachments

• 20200804_222642.jpg
    20200804_222642.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
As RJ posted replace both , screw and nut.

The above picture shows the screw and nut replacement. On its way!

Back