Backside parting tools

Found an old Armstrong catalog on the vintagemachinery.org website. It lists the No 19 parting tool holder and gives the blade size as 3/32 x 1/2. The catalog even had a part number for the blade. But then goes on to say the actual blade is smaller than the listed size.

Would it be a bad idea to carefully grind the bottom edge of a 3/32 x 1/2 blade to fit?

I like this No. 19 parting tool holder because the blade is held straight with the holder instead of being held off at an angle. I think that it would be significantly more ridged than the angled holders.

Usually the dimension for Anerican made blades was always measured pre-final grind, so they have ranged for me from .492" to .477 I got tired of all the variance and reground my holder to accept .500 to .465 high blades, the maximum the hold down would take.

Thanks for the info on blade size and the sources to buy. Just for grins I am going to grind down one of my 1/2" blades to fit in the No 19 parting tool holder. I do not have the skill nor the equipment to precisely increase the size of my No 19 holder to hold a 1/2 blade.

Back