Bad bearings? Dah Lih circa 1976 Taiwanese

That hex head on the taper index? Pretty sure no other fixings holding it. Tried a bit of heat. Might have to take it to an old Swiss machinist locally and see if he has any tricks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Do you have any large hex material laying around? You could bore to fit the cap and run a bolt through the side and into that screw hole on the side, then use a big wrench to apply more force. OR ... you can go see your friend. :)

Do you have any large hex material laying around? You could bore to fit the cap and run a bolt through the side and into that screw hole on the side, then use a big wrench to apply more force. OR ... you can go see your friend. :)
Mate, that is a good idea but I think I might struggle to find 120mm hex around here. I do have the big wrench though.

Those are not screw holes on the side, they are just holes for a pin wrench.

Inspect that cap nut closely for the letters "LH". Gorton was real nice to do this. Of course after putting all effort into trying to break it loose, you happen to notice the letters LH. :confusion:

Another thing you could do, if you have another mill available to you, is to either cut a set of flats or a slot for a big spanner wrench. That way you have better bearing and less likely to shear off a "claw" as you do with a pin. Still think it's left handed....:boxed in:

A rather common problem with 6200 series bearings is having them get axial preload . It's usually having either the wrong length spacer, spacer being too short, or no spacer at all. They get a notchy feeling ! If there has to be a preload, it has to be radial. I would guess that the clown before you jammed the nut into the thread end. A new pin wrench and some heat would be how I would attack it. The over tightening is a killer on 6200s. While 6200 series bearing do take some thrust loading, they have a deep race, but they are a basically a radial bearing . On one machine, I solved that by giving the operator a much shorter wrench. On your application the top bearing should be floating, whether on the shaft or housing. Thermal expansion has to have some place to go. When guys say don't mill on a drill press, I laugh. On my drill press the bearings are 6200s. You should only mill, not drill ! My guess your mill/drill is just a beefed up drill press.

....................My guess your mill/drill is just a beefed up drill press.
I don't think so. If it is, it's the first one I've seen with both a horizontal and vertical spindles on the mill.
I highly doubt it has 6200 series bearing for spindle bearings in the lower end. More than likely 7200 series bearings, hopefully set properly at the factory. Unless someone has had this apart in the past and put the wrong bearings in the spindle. The upper bearing is more than likely a single 6200 series bearing, not two.

If all else fails, take measurements of the cap on the outside. Then set up in a lathe and machine the cap down enough that it does not contact the housing face and attempt to remove. Just have to make a new cap afterwards. Applying heat to the housing to get it to let go could distort things as well as set fire to the oil or grease inside the housing. 400-500 degree F should be okay and no higher!

I have turned up a sleeve and bored to just fit over the problem cap. I will drill and put pins in then weld on a long breaker bar. Hope this works.

Back