Bad bearings? Dah Lih circa 1976 Taiwanese

Hey, Ropata, did you ever get the quill sorted? Just curious how things turned out.

Hey, Ropata, did you ever get the quill sorted? Just curious how things turned out.
Yeah It's all back together. Thanks for the guidance all you guys.

20170831_113637.jpgI'm tossing up weather or not I get into scraping it in for a better fit due to there being a couple of hundredths of wear in the bed. I'm not as enamoured with it as I was with my lathe so I may wait for a better quality machine to fully restore. It'll do for the projects I have planned coming up. I started another thread for some tooling advice. I have no idea about milling so heaps to learn.

By the way, It's amazing how quiet a belt driven machine is with new bearings :)

I have zero experience with scraping but my understanding is that when you're in the hundredths, it is better to have the surfaces ground. If it was a couple of thousandths, then maybe scraping would work but it is going to take a LOT of scraping to even out hundredths of an inch. If a machine in better shape comes along, that might be the way to go.

In any case, glad you got the quill rebuilt. New bearings make a huge difference, especially when they aren't living in muck and rust like the old ones were.

Happy for you, and now you get to play with your milll; have fun!

I have zero experience with scraping but my understanding is that when you're in the hundredths, it is better to have the surfaces ground. If it was a couple of thousandths, then maybe scraping would work but it is going to take a LOT of scraping to even out hundredths of an inch. If a machine in better shape comes along, that might be the way to go.

In any case, glad you got the quill rebuilt. New bearings make a huge difference, especially when they aren't living in muck and rust like the old ones were.

Happy for you, and now you get to play with your milll; have fun!
Ha ha, sorry mate, that's hundredths of a millimetre. So I think a couple of thou in your old ways. So not unworkable.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Should have figured you meant metric measurements down there! Old ways, indeed! :)

I was thinking hundredths of an inch as well. Scraping that would be a long slog!

Good luck with your mill. I find my mill to be the only machine that's paid for itself as a hobby machine. While we are officially metric, we work in thou. From my days in college as a pre-app, I found using a metric verneir much trickier than an imperial. Your hundreds are even finer then the caliper's fifties. So between the fine measurement and the Bridgeport style's naturel sloppiness that could be your frustration.

I tried to read every post of this thread but I'm not very patient and seem to have lost track of what happened. I'm guessing the cap screws that you didn't know what the deal was, it looks like they hold the assembly or support or bearings on the inside. It looks like they come out and then the whole rotating assembly comes out throw the housing. Is that what happened? I'm curious.

If that was something on a car, I would assume it needed to be disassembled from the back, then the cap screws removed and then, either the shaft would then come out or it allows the bearing/support assembly to come out after the shaft is out. Is that what went down?

Thanks,

Wayne

I tried to read every post of this thread but I'm not very patient and seem to have lost track of what happened. I'm guessing the cap screws that you didn't know what the deal was, it looks like they hold the assembly or support or bearings on the inside. It looks like they come out and then the whole rotating assembly comes out throw the housing. Is that what happened? I'm curious.

If that was something on a car, I would assume it needed to be disassembled from the back, then the cap screws removed and then, either the shaft would then come out or it allows the bearing/support assembly to come out after the shaft is out. Is that what went down?

Thanks,

Wayne
It all came out the bottom just like a Bridgeport set up. The end cap was left hand thread, it had a little L marked on the cap and housing on the inside! Go figure what good that does anyone. All back together now, made my first chips yesterday with a terrible blunt end mill that came with it. Now the expensive tool up phase begins.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back