Bad Day

Removing valves from head of lawnmower engine and one of the keepers flew into the Netherlands of an area of the floor of doom.

That place where buckets of to be sorted hardware brushes and other things that have fallen of the bench land...

The keeper is now in the bag with the rest of the parts and the floor and buckets much cleaner and things sorted...

The only guaranteed way to find a missing tool is to buy a replacement.
I just did that with some electronic parts. I needed a replacement part, looked everywhere because I was sure I had spares, ordered new parts, found the spares I had the next day.

I spend way to much time in my shop looking for something I set down somewhere without consciously thinking when I did it... way to much shop time is spent looking for it misplaced tools
I just redid much of my shop, new tool boxes, benches removed, machines relocated... so I am going to need to spend many hours organizing just to get the slightest grip on the situation.
Another thing along the same lines for me... storing something for weeks, months or years, you finally relocate it or dispose of it, than you need it withi a week or 2....

I would swear there are gremlins under the equipment that take everything that gets dropped on the floor and gives you back more swarf in it's place. And boy are they quick. At times I think they also take things off the bench while your back is turned.

I agree 100% with that statement, I think I saw one of them once,but his friends pulled him back under the table and then they were gone:alien::p

That is what I call, and have come to depend on as the "Uterus Based Finding device". Only applies to the species homo sapiens, canine will not suffice.
It has only failed once in over (10) years that I can remember.
I was polishing a small part on a large buffing wheel this past summer holding it in a jerry-rigged holder and it went flying.
My Better-Half was present when this occurred. Searched for hours, never showed up.
I was cleaning out a junk drawer of aluminum pieces this week and found it! Aforementioned Better-Half is out of town visiting her Kids.
Go figure...
Seriously, whenever I get frustrated at trying to find something I give up and humbly go ask for assistance. Always seems to work thankfully.

I also have one of these devices.

Another thing along the same lines for me... storing something for weeks, months or years, you finally relocate it or dispose of it, than you need it withi a week or 2....
Oh, yes! What separates 'stuff' from 'junk'- you move, and take it with you, 3 times in a decade. You make new places to store it. Finally, you say "I am tired of storing/moving this, and throw it away. A week later, the reason you saved the 'stuff' finally comes up. If I had a nickle......

When I would have a so-called "Bad Day" my mentor would say, "Yes it may seem bad but there will be worse". Long form." There is no such animal as a Bad Day, some are worse than others but you will never see your worst one"

"Billy G"

The only guaranteed way to find a missing tool is to buy a replacement.

Exactly ! I misplaced a drill-tap-deburring bit & went to ACE hardware to buy a replacement. The next time I was in my shop I found the original one. I was using a DeWalt bit holder that has a sliding sleeve to allow better "aim". I picked up the holder & slid back the sleeve & there it was.

Back