Bad Lathe Sound

dellingerwill

Registered
Registered
My lathe has started making a pretty nasty sound. It's a HF 7x12 minilathe. This sound only happens when the powerfeed is engaged (but regardless of half nuts being engaged or not). It's coming from the drivetrain somewhere. It's always made some extra noise, but it's been getting worse and now sounds like this:

The noise happens about 10 seconds into the recording. I would guess bearing noise, but I'm not sure.

It sounds to me like gears not meshing. Does it do it if you hold the forward/reverse lever solidly in place so it can’t slip out of its detent? I have heard of cases where the dimple that holds the lever in place was too shallow and the shift lever would slip out. on its own.

Tom

I tried holding the lever in place, but it made no difference in the sound. Any other ideas?

Sounds like you should inspect the lead screw bearings and any gears that only turn when the lead screw is turning. If you only hear it then. Have to dig in and inspect for wear or to much clearance or if a bad bearing.

I have a two speed drill that has plastic gears and that just what it sounds like if the gears are not properly engaged. When the power feed is engage, does the carriage jerks when that noise happens? Open up the lathe and inspect the gear train and the power feed mechanism. You may have to turn it by hand(make sure that it is unplugged). Check the gears for wobble, bad teeth, what ever. If you don't see any thing, bypass the electrical interlock and run the lathe. Look carefully for any skipping and/or wobbling. It also could be a bearing or something as simple as a loose screw. Little Machine Shop carries extra gears if that is the problem. Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the suggestions. The allen bolts that attach the a carrier for one of the gears had backed out, so the carrier was grinding against the adjacent gears. No lasting damage, and all is repaired.

Talking to us, won't get it done.
Mate, roll him sleeves up, and dive in.
When you've got him sorted, tell us about it.
Now, what can I talk about, instead of...
1. finish Painting house.
2. finish bandsaw
3. finish Boat
4. finish cleaning shed
5. finish new shackles on trailer.
6.finish......et al. Tv antennae, paving, tail light, ...........

Thank you all for the suggestions. The allen bolts that attach the a carrier for one of the gears had backed out, so the carrier was grinding against the adjacent gears. No lasting damage, and all is repaired.
So glad that it was that simple. I like happy endings.

Back