Balanced Grinder Hubs

I seem to remember reading about a spray on coating that makes things ever so slightly -vely charged and helps stop them sticking together, which might be one approach. The actual physics and maths of how many and so on I wouldn't have a clue about, I just like neat ideas :)

the other ideas such as shifting the center of rotation to balance might not be much use for a grinder where the wheel has to stay a fixed distance from the table. I wish I was able to find more about the ball bearing self balancing centrifuge rotors, pretty sure they're made by Beckman Coultier (sp?). It was fun deliberately going against everything I've been taught and not balancing the rotor and it still working fine.

The bottom line here, is for ordinary work, with wheels less than 7" diameter, that are made in USA, no special balancing will be necessary; it is a souution in search of a problem.

could be, I'm not experienced enough to say one way or another, but it is an interesting solution without doubt :)

The bottom line here, is for ordinary work, with wheels less than 7" diameter, that are made in USA, no special balancing will be necessary; it is a souution in search of a problem.

I totally disagree... My Made in USA Norton wheels (all 5 of them costing between $60 and $75 each) don't balance worth a darn. Matter of fact, the only wheels that balance half-way decent are some no-name import 3/8" or 1/2" wide -and even those require balance weights if you want to fine-tune the cupping out of the finish... And BTW, they were purchased from MSC. One of them was so bad, not even the balance mechanism could make it run right and MSC will not refund or exchange grinder wheels...

Ray

Wow, no kidding...
I am definitely working toward surface grinding... But I will have some homework to do to really get it going!

Bernie

I'll merely add what Brown & Sharpe says in their B&S 13 grinder manual about wheel balancing 7" and smaller wheels.
They clearly state that balancing such wheels is unnecessary and unproductive.

I have a balancing stand and arbor ( I presume it's still fine after the fire considering its placement in the garage) but I intend to use it for only my 10" grinding wheels. I'll check the small wheels for balance but, heeding the advise from B&S, will not rush to purchase balancing adapters for them.

I am on record as not being concerned with balancing small grinding wheels, as defined by the 7" diameter line drawn in the sand; having said this, I relate that a couple of months ago, I bought a lot of B&S type hubs on E Bay, and to my surprise, one of them was a Sopko balancing hub; so far I have not been tempted to use it, still not seeing the necessity for doing so, being as the MicroMaster seems to do a job that is adequate for the work I put it to, in fact, it does a quite nice job (it's good enough for the gals that I go out with, anyway). Having said this, I posit that there may be a guy out there that needs it more than I do, and accordingly, I invite offers; it looks to be in excellent condition, possibly unused.

Last edited:
Back