Balancing arbor modification

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
My last auction visit I ended up getting a balancing arbor in a group lot of stuff. I have a self made one but this one has a threaded collar on it only downside I see is it’s alittle longer than I want. I have a Anderson wheel balancer that is adjustable but I don’t see a reason for this arbor to be so long. I want to shorten it to about 8” long instead of 14”.
A3024F5E-CD75-4113-87E2-33909DEB9170.jpeg

Acouple of questions. How to clean up the centers? Is there a process to lap centers and what tools needed?Best way to take down unwanted material? My thought was to take the bulk off in a 4jaw leaving .010-.020 then put between centers and cut my ends which our at .500. Then wack off 2-3” from each end. How would u do it?
I thought of trying to finish grind everything but I haven’t done cylindrical grinding on my SG yet and in the moving process of machines right now because I purchased a new to me SG and making room.

To lap the centers in I would use brass turned to a 60 degree point and use lapping compound. Then with the arbor on end in a drill press and the brass 60 degree center in the drill chuck lap away. Just keep an eye on what you are lapping so it is even. My self I would use the arbor as is. Its the OD of the shaft that rests on the wheels of the balancer.

Yes, the centers were only used to grind the arbor; no need for them now, just cut ends off if you want, but I'd also just use it as is.

Back