[Noteworthy] Baldor 215yz 10 Hp Deconstructed

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I had a motor on the bench this afternoon and thought it might be nice for those who have never seen the inside of a 3 phase 10 hp TEFC dual voltage motor.
the victim is a Baldor 215YZ frame 10 HP 3 phase motor.
the motor did still run, but the bearings are no longer serviceable.
A bearingotomy and winding test will be the prescribed treatment, the cost would be a fraction of the cost of motor replacement.
this motor is a specification for Biro Meat Grinders,
and not available except through BIRO MFG.
Biro wants $2,800 for a new one....
NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!
here's the pictures.....

the motor tag

pAHaniiL8RI0nv1gYSE-HdtKbAGEYG03lCUg-_fkaZAJS9xUKX2Fk_uQE5aXF7lfl_ZY8-3ttM8ujoGdMcc=w516-h640-no.jpg

the side view, pre deconstruction.

YRIh6XAI_SLR5DBjeaoAEbC1fIzP7a3dAHT29avbmmJlJKj-MIWJjJ1TSTtfR415UNgvFvpggIGqBfE1oBM=w640-h480-no.jpg

the motor is Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled (TEFC)
here's the bi-directional fan. as the name implies, it will cool the 3 phase motor in forward or reverse rotation.
vFkZJ45Cf6sfPd7gzcdm3ScrNAjZ4qrimG5hEdqMQnqyx2IRxDJbi_QHL-ypiKGsy7jWdsda3BEUe1jRXKs=w640-h480-no.jpg

This is the fan end of the motor, the shaft stub is slightly visible behind the motor cage bolts.
this motor, like many electric motors, use long bolts or all-thread to cage the motor end caps.
this motor uses 5/16 -18 tpi x 18" bolts of caging purposes.
also seen is the foot mount as indicated by the YZ portion of the frame designation.
the motor is a standard 9 lead dual voltage TEFC 215 frame motor with fancy cast iron end caps with feet as specification for the BIRO motor.
i guess it gives them license to ask 3 times what a standard 215 frame motor would be...

REboUHQrVSeSNprsLNX6ax-_2fUaJ88GdjBVKkjfMuMrJ5qupDEt7vcjG9LFXSyRsAZeB01bxz6gdUMckUw=w640-h480-no.jpg

the 9 lead winding is pictured below, no shorts were tested- resistance was low!!!
all good here!
:aok:

7Tite3yTPn_EFe98YYhCosFZkv70V2mSN2UZLpxInFSz21ENiaL3ZDw6XJz5xPj1VIbo4OhJ1Sjo4EYaxeI=w640-h480-no.jpg

Here's the shot of the end cap that houses the 6206RS C3 bearing.
they are identical end for end.

qJKvdevj42XTpMDHbgSmPXWBtTERxG1NEsrMPQ0VNGuhUeNRG1hXpDVg1Ox-ll3rV5ZE9GVFwKApljPMqmM=w480-h640-no.jpg
there was provision for seals too, in the specifications.

AYqh-n4X__MDey-Z6QEE13rH4m3B0T27qrBe0975UlPYuW35OUqZ8BAHr8PkXHNqBXv-6ZA1e9biKjVZ1vA=w640-h470-no.jpg

Here's a shot of the rotor assembly.
the bearing was rusted to the shaft and required the shop press for disassembly.

DazIEsMFjBYeUTu_CU9rpESVw9Uqf9bFgLHX8tFihnCy39RsdicdajKvOCi9HFVFqwVopASOiR1SkduquWI=w362-h640-no.jpg

a curiosity was found during disassembly, one of the fins on the motor was severely bent out of position, as like as if something struck it during operation, there were a few faint scratches on other fins too indicative of an ooops moment for someone....
onjpIvz1wE4_gg0yamXRmJhXvEVyN6-BUWF6XtWJyIlV8S4ane7w5CGoZwe5DnVjQZDT4U14t9lKM9D0Sds=w480-h640-no.jpg

and the rotor sans bearings or superfluous housing...

om50Gh22QY3loJOKBk9Gj6QdnMt9IHZTPSN-t32kUrKL1u-xGUKp039y6FzdKpgl-FMNsPZNlEfGKw1q_Zo=w268-h640-no.jpg

Thanks for reading,
i hope the information may become useful to whomever may run across it.
comments and questions are always welcome.:)

pAHaniiL8RI0nv1gYSE-HdtKbAGEYG03lCUg-_fkaZAJS9xUKX2Fk_uQE5aXF7lfl_ZY8-3ttM8ujoGdMcc=w516-h640-no.jpg

YRIh6XAI_SLR5DBjeaoAEbC1fIzP7a3dAHT29avbmmJlJKj-MIWJjJ1TSTtfR415UNgvFvpggIGqBfE1oBM=w640-h480-no.jpg

vFkZJ45Cf6sfPd7gzcdm3ScrNAjZ4qrimG5hEdqMQnqyx2IRxDJbi_QHL-ypiKGsy7jWdsda3BEUe1jRXKs=w640-h480-no.jpg

REboUHQrVSeSNprsLNX6ax-_2fUaJ88GdjBVKkjfMuMrJ5qupDEt7vcjG9LFXSyRsAZeB01bxz6gdUMckUw=w640-h480-no.jpg

7Tite3yTPn_EFe98YYhCosFZkv70V2mSN2UZLpxInFSz21ENiaL3ZDw6XJz5xPj1VIbo4OhJ1Sjo4EYaxeI=w640-h480-no.jpg

qJKvdevj42XTpMDHbgSmPXWBtTERxG1NEsrMPQ0VNGuhUeNRG1hXpDVg1Ox-ll3rV5ZE9GVFwKApljPMqmM=w480-h640-no.jpg

AYqh-n4X__MDey-Z6QEE13rH4m3B0T27qrBe0975UlPYuW35OUqZ8BAHr8PkXHNqBXv-6ZA1e9biKjVZ1vA=w640-h470-no.jpg

DazIEsMFjBYeUTu_CU9rpESVw9Uqf9bFgLHX8tFihnCy39RsdicdajKvOCi9HFVFqwVopASOiR1SkduquWI=w362-h640-no.jpg

onjpIvz1wE4_gg0yamXRmJhXvEVyN6-BUWF6XtWJyIlV8S4ane7w5CGoZwe5DnVjQZDT4U14t9lKM9D0Sds=w480-h640-no.jpg

om50Gh22QY3loJOKBk9Gj6QdnMt9IHZTPSN-t32kUrKL1u-xGUKp039y6FzdKpgl-FMNsPZNlEfGKw1q_Zo=w268-h640-no.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I would feel compelled to break out my gallon of Evapo-Rust and make it look pretty. Lets see a picture of your press I'm pretty sure its not the HF variety like I have.

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
Is that motor gonna get cleaned up, repaired, and back in service?

Many many years ago... I was around when a largish 3 phase motor was removed, dis-assembled, bearings changed, re-assembled, and re-mounted.
Your pics bring back memories.

If that motor is gonna be used again... will you clean up the armature, or replace it.

Curiosity... :)

Wee bit of rust there. Where was it mounted?

Hi Dan,
The motor is most likely 20 yrs old.
it's mounted underneath the meat grinder. the motor gets incidental splash/spray from cleaning operations.

Is that motor gonna get cleaned up, repaired, and back in service?

Many many years ago... I was around when a largish 3 phase motor was removed, dis-assembled, bearings changed, re-assembled, and re-mounted.
Your pics bring back memories.

If that motor is gonna be used again... will you clean up the armature, or replace it.

Curiosity... :)

Hi John, thanks for reading!
Yes Sir- the motor will go back into service on Monday.
This is a customer's motor, unfortunately the customer is requesting that the costs be held as low as possible.
So, i won't be doing a lot of cleanup other than a quick brushing with a stainless steel brush and blow off before reassembly.
the motor may last another 20 years!

Hi John, thanks for reading!
Yes Sir- the motor will go back into service on Monday.
This is a customer's motor, unfortunately the customer is requesting that the costs be held as low as possible.
So, i won't be doing a lot of cleanup other than a quick brushing with a stainless steel brush and blow off before reassembly.
the motor may last another 20 years!

Yeah... glad to hear it is gonna continue to earn its keep... :)
And yeah... funny how customers see more time value in things than we do... <grin>

New bearings, some cleaning, a little rattle-can paint, and she will purr for years to come.

The part I cringe about... is physically moving those beasts around. The old back is not what it used to be.

In my world (heating and AC)... had to change an 8 ton compressor last week, on a roof. The logistics of getting the new one up there (and I ALWAYS take the old one down... leaving it there is just sloppy IMO), was a hassle. Finally found a worker at the location with a stronger back than mine... it was well worth the $10 bill... :D

Yeah... glad to hear it is gonna continue to earn its keep... :)
And yeah... funny how customers see more time value in things than we do... <grin>

New bearings, some cleaning, a little rattle-can paint, and she will purr for years to come.

The part I cringe about... is physically moving those beasts around. The old back is not what it used to be.

In my world (heating and AC)... had to change an 8 ton compressor last week, on a roof. The logistics of getting the new one up there (and I ALWAYS take the old one down... leaving it there is just sloppy IMO), was a hassle. Finally found a worker at the location with a stronger back than mine... it was well worth the $10 bill... :D

Baldor motors are top shelf, i don't get a lot of winding failures with them- usually a set of bearings and clean up will make em good as new!!!
I've had to muscle these motors around for a long time, it NEVER gets any easier :eek:
but i have gotten smarter on HOW i move them...
smashed fingers, cuts, scrapes, bruises, and a whole lot of cussin' are normal operational parameters in some applications.
I try to use any form of mechanical advantage at my disposal whenever possible, even if it's just my favorite prybar or a 2x4 scrounged at the necessary moment, or a forklift or come-a-long if i'm lucky that day :)

Back