[4]

Baldor Grinder Questions

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Guys,
I officially think I have too many Baldors, and may put one up for sale. Before I go into detail about that, I have a few questions on my other Baldors.
First, I picked up, for a sweet price, a vintage Baldor and pedestal from the early 70's. It has those expensive light shields (expensive on ebay, anyways) on them. I can't help but think that those bulky light sheilds would get in the way. Below is a pic. Sorry for the quality.
If any of you guys have experience with these lights, please "enlighten" me.
20181130_143303.jpg
Also, on my carbide grinder, it is missing the bottom trays/dishes.
Is that a big deal? What were these trays meant for?
20181108_223133.jpg
Attached to the carbide grinder is this wheel:
20181202_171426.jpg
I couldn't find any info off the Internet from the brand and number listed on the wheel. This looks like it could be a Chinese diamond wheel, but when I touchecked the wheel, it is smooth. Is this just a worn out diamind wheel?

Finally, for anyone in the Bay Area, if you think you would be interested in a 7" wheel Baldor grinder with no pedestal, feel free to let me know. I am 90% positive I will want to let go of one. Will supply pic later when I know which one I would sell, but it would be a deal compared to craigslist prices.

Thanks,
Susan

Cooter Brown

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
That style grinding wheel is called a Metal Bond Grinding wheel... They are extremely expensive....

Last edited:

benmychree

John York
The carbide grinders came with a drip cup that mounted on the stud on top of the wheel guard, the drip tray catches the drips; one should not use a diamond wheel without some type of water based coolant. The drip from the cup should be introduced to the wheel from inside the wheel counterbore, the drip cup is fitted with a needle valve and a bent piece of copper tube to direct the coolant accordingly.

T. J.

I recently bought a replacement drip tray for my Baldor carbide grinder. It was around $60 if I remember correctly. My grinder looks newer than yours, but the trays may be the same. You should be able to get one from any Baldor dealer. I got mine from Motion Industries.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Thank you for the correction, Ulma Doctor :)
Do you know if these wheels are supposed to be smooth?
the diamonds can be quite fine , it may resemble a smooth surface.
if you scratch your fingernail across the surface, you may detect some grains if the wheel is not a super fine grit.
from the picture it appears to have life left in the wheel.

on my similar grinder i have a CBN wheel on one side and a diamond wheel on the other
the CBN i use for the HSS tooling and the diamond is for carbide

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I bought a similar Baldor some years ago (2014), also missing drip trays. Checked Baldor (as did T.J.), and got sticker shock. Just for fun, checked Grizzle. Lo and behold, they have a similar grinder. Water trays (item #22, p/n PH7762022) are $14.25. I bought two and was able to fit them!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7762/parts (second page)
Photo of a Grizzle tray on my Baldor. The screw indicated by the red arrow keeps the tray in place on the posts (which I drilled & tapped)
kHPIM3287.jpg

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
I bought a similar Baldor some years ago (2014), also missing drip trays. Checked Baldor (as did T.J.), and got sticker shock. Just for fun, checked Grizzle. Lo and behold, they have a similar grinder. Water trays (item #22, p/n PH7762022) are $14.25. I bought two and was able to fit them!
Photo of a Grizzle tray on my Baldor. The screw indicated by the red arrow keeps the tray in place on the posts (which I drilled & tapped)
View attachment 281788
Omg. I love you! I mean that in a platonic, non-harassing way Lol. ;-) Thanks For sharing!

Last edited:

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Omg. I love you! Thanks For sharing!
View attachment 281788
Well, even though it cost more than just $14.25 each, it is still WAY cheaper than getting a use ONE off ebay. ONE used Baldor tray goes for about $100. So, I am happy paying what I did for the Grizzly trays
Screenshot_2018-12-08-00-29-04.png
I love how the price magically went up to $28.50 per unit when I added the item into my cart. I just sent an email to customer service to find out if I get 2 trays since the price is exactly double what the webpage stated.

Last edited:

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Happy to help! Hope you get the !!&^^$(%&*^!! pricing straightened out.

Cooter Brown

That is very strange.... It didn't double for me...
Capture.JPG

Jimsehr

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I hope you know that the diamond wheel you show is for finishing a carbide tool ,
Not for roughing. And as far as the tray goes all it is for is to catching the Liquid from the wheel. And in all my 60 some years I have used a kerosene dipped rag
Against the diamond wheel instead of dripping water . Because of the mess.

markba633csi

Shouldn't have doubled like that Susan- I just tried it myself (but didn't order) and got the same result as Cooter
You should call them
mark

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Shouldn't have doubled like that Susan- I just tried it myself (but didn't order) and got the same result as Cooter
You should call them
mark
It turns out to be some glitch with the website. I later deleted the dishes from my cart (my cart empty since I ordered the cheap water valve and pipe for my Baldor cup too), then I re-added it. When I re-added it, it showed at $14.25. Then, I updated it to 2 units and checked out. Make sure to give Grizzly your email so they can email you a 10% coupon code before you buy anything.

ACHiPo

PM sent on the grinder (just in case):cool:

pstemari

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
they are getting $400 for chinese diamond wheels if that's the case

Aukai

I have 2 kids in the bay area, let me know what you decide.....

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
You should call them
mark
It's all good. I think they corrected it after getting my emaIL last night since I was able to order today with zero glitches

Aukai

1 PHD, 1 ER RN, you sure? LOL....Someone would be able to pick it up if needed.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
1 PHD, 1 ER RN, you sure? LOL....Someone would be able to pick it up if needed.
Pick what up? Dude, your vague messages are coming across as creepy or desperate, fyi

Aukai

My apologies, you were stating about selling baldors, I may have missed a post in between. One of my kids would be able to get a machine from you, if you should decide to sell one.

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
My apologies, you were stating about selling baldors, I may have missed a post in between. One of my kids would be able to get a machine from you, if you should decide to sell one.
LOL!! Yes, of course! Why else would you mention, "1 PHD, 1 ER RN.."
Unfortunately, another member PM'd me about the Baldor before you. Should he decide to not buy it, I will contact you.
Thanks for your interest ;-)

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Also, I apologize for misinterpretting your message. I get hit on by guys, and assumed wrong about your messages.
Susan

[6]
[5] [7]